my wipers arent working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my wipers arent working!

when I bought my S2 the wipers only worked on full speed, now they dont work at all, I've tested the stalk and there's electric coming out when I move the stalk up and down etc so I'm pretty sure its not the stalk, has anybody else had this problem or know what it will be, I've checked the fuse which is number 15 and its ok? I've searched but cant find anything? the washers work and the rear wiper and washer work fine?

hi rob,
    your car stood for a while?
    try a lashing of wd40 or similar on the pivots/mechanism.
    listen for the motor trying to rotate them. if it is give the wipers a "slight" helping hand.

Comment

I've found a thread everybody with the same symptoms, typically after I put a new thread up, delete this anybody in charge, cheers, soz

Comment

it was stood for for a while yep, I've got another stalk but the bit where it fits around the columns wider than the one that on so the prongs dont mesh together, I'm going to try and change the innerds now, cheers mate

Comment

is the motor trying to turn. get your head next to it and listen. if it is the pivot/mechanism could just be seized through lack of use. this often happens on old porsches and v-dubs.
          other than that get a voltmeter at the wiper motor. if its getting juice but no signs of life the motor could be a goner.

Comment

Seized mechanism is the most likely cause...is power reaching the motor?
            If you have removed the wiper/stalk assembly you can test the wipers by bridging the connector and that will give you the answer to whether or not the switch unit is faulty. Also check your relays.

Comment

Mine did exactly the same thing, turned out to be the relay, which is the same in a lot of VW's/Audi's.
              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

right, my stalks fine, I can hear the intermittent relay clicking when I change the wiper speed, disconnected the motor and tested the loom coming from inside the body and there's no power at all? does anybody know where this little loom comes from? cheers people, and chezz, which colour wires do I bypass?

Comment

Trial and error mate...its a while since I last did this. If the relays are clicking when you are moving the stalks on the wiper/hazard/ indicator unit then surely you are receiving power watch your fingers mate, screw this up and you'll never play the piano again! Wiper mechanisms can be dangerous areas to work.
                  Last edited by chezz; 18 December 2009, 20:54.

Comment

true, haha do you mean with the mechanism? I already thought they looked like a big pair of scissors, I need to find out where the wires from the relay go to and where the ones to the motor come from

Comment

So far then -
                      Motor OK/No power
                      Wipers freely moving
                      clicking from stalk movement and no power at connector?

I would assume relays are the most likely cause of your trouble.

Did you test for power at the stalk/switch connector with ignition on?

Comment

right, I've just got back from the garage, the first test I done was the stalk, earthed on the column I put the other end of my volt meter in each one of the holes of the block connector and moved the stalk and was getting power, then I decided the stalk is ok, then I listened to the intermittent relay and put my finger on it and could hear and feel clicking each time the stalk was moved, and it stops when you take the fuse out, I nicked a relay out of my da's 80 that he's breaking which I know works, and it does the same, so I've just tested the loom to the motor again and I'm getting power on two of the wires when the ignitions switched on but nothing happens when I move the stalk? it stays the same?

Comment

well I've changed the motor and it still the same, my fast speed was working but it just pleases itself when it wants to work? I'm sick, but I did get out in the snow! it was mint

Comment

Working...
                          X