Fuel Gauge On-board Comp Similar to Sidspud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge On-board Comp Similar to Sidspud

I have a similar problem with my on-board comp as posted by Sidspud, when the tank is full, everything is okay but round about half tank, the guage is fine but the on-board comp readout says 'E'. Then it's okay for a while and then reads 'E' again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My computer would tell me I was empty and I'd also get the autocheck warning with the petrol pump symbol just after dropping below half a tank. Two minutes later and I'd have a range of 100 miles and then two minutes later BEEP! and back to E.

Does the actual fuel gauge go wacky? Mine would go up and down all the time, but only when I was under half a tank. Above that was OK.

It sounds very much like my problem. A new sender is only around £30 - £40 and its an easy (now that I know how to do it) job to change it. Alternatively, take out the sender and replace the broken wire. That would only cost you your time.
    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
      My computer would tell me I was empty and I'd also get the autocheck warning with the petrol pump symbol just after dropping below half a tank. Two minutes later and I'd have a range of 100 miles and then two minutes later BEEP! and back to E.

Does the actual fuel gauge go wacky? Mine would go up and down all the time, but only when I was under half a tank. Above that was OK.

It sounds very much like my problem. A new sender is only around £30 - £40 and its an easy (now that I know how to do it) job to change it. Alternatively, take out the sender and replace the broken wire. That would only cost you your time.
      The symptoms at the moment are; full tank the comp is okay the guage is okay. After a boost the guage moves a bit but then settles to the appropriate level, the comp on the other hand shows 25 miles starts blinking then stops after about an hour or so of driving or turning the car off and then on. Now I have a 3 quarter tank and the comp is reading E and the guage is 3 quarter's empty!!

Comment

I'd say check the sender. Its cheaper than a new computer!
        ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by sidspud
          I'd say check the sender. Its cheaper than a new computer!
          Cheers, I'll use your detailed diagram as well

Comment

Working...
          X