This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Change OEM 3b fan to Pacet PF1311P

thought i would document the steps to change the 3b Bosch OEM fan motor and blade to an aftermarket 13inch Pacet Pro Fan unit.

Usual caveats about at your own risk etc

I wanted to change the unit because mine was goosed but also to try and increase some of the underbonnet space without relocating the battery tray and hopefully have an equal or better efficiency than the original unit.

After looking around, it seemed that the profans shift the most air compared to equivalent Spal or Kenlowe units.

In order to create the extra space, i decided to ditch the metal 3b fan shroud/cowl in favour of the ABY version which is plastic. Initially I was also concerned that the 13inch fan unit wouldnt fit under the 3b cowl too. Whilst this in the end didnt prove to be an issue, the aperture for the air to flow out from is significantly smaller so i continued with my plan to get shot of it.

Basically you just need to remove the radiator from the car, its held on with 3 bolts, 1 at the top, one on the right side (when facing the engine) and one underneath on the metal support. NB: If you have aircon, you need to crack off the bolts of these too and responsibly recover any refrigerant in the system. As mine was empty this wasn't an issue...

Get the rad/condenser unit onto the bench and using a 10mm socket and spanner, set about splitting the condenser from the radiator unit. The condenser is held on with 2x10mm bolt and 2 brackets which slide onto mounts on the radiator - once the bolts are undone, just lift it off though it might require a tap if the brackets have corroded

Remove the cowl by removing the 5 x 10mm bolts holding it to the rear of the radiator with the fan unit attached.

At this point you have two options - continue with the 3b cowl and decide whether to cut off the support frame for the fan unit which will need a hack saw to cut through the 3 arms or as I did, source an ABY cowl and hack saw off the 4 arms and tidy up with some sandpaper to smooth off. As you can see this saves a massive amount of depth compared to the 3b cowl evn with the support removed.

Take the pacet unit and position on the rear of the radiator and mark out where to push through the matrix.

Use a small, then larger pozidrive screwdriver to ease through the fins being careful not damage anything. Cut the supplied clear plastic pipe to the correct length to slot into the matrix which acts as protection for the special plastic pins which hold the fan unit to the radiator.

Place a neoprene washer between the fan unit mounting foot and the rear face of the radiator before pushing the plastic pin through the foot and into the tube in the matrix. Slot another neoprene washer on the front side and then slot the gripper onto the pin and pull until tight. Repeat for the 3 remaining mounts. These can be tensioned by placing a 10m spanner on the front side of the grippers and then using some pliers, pulling the pin through until it is taught. Cut off the excess and the fan is now firmly attached to the radiator

Note, there is*just* enough room between these grippers on the front face of the radiator and the condenser unit when it is remounted (reverse of removal - slot onto the brackets then secure with the to 10mm 's)

Slot the cowl over the rear and re-secure and job done

It wasnt possible to square up exactly the fan with the supplied mounting feet however there are other mount points on the fan which you could use. I felt the push on ones looked more robust so hence the slight offset alignment which i doubt will make any difference to efficiency...
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

some extra shots on the sizing side by side of OEM versus the new fan

Max height of the ABY cowl with the support arms removed

and old 3b

Max aperture of ABY and 3B

In terms of weight, the 3b cowl and old fan unit was 4kg, the pacet with ABY cowl was 3.4kg
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

depth of the rad/condenser and ABY cowl

depth of the original setup

Looking forward to the rain stopping so i can slot back into the car and see how much extra room i have to play with now

A BIG thanks to SVC who i bought the fan from...they let me try both the 12 and 13in units at no cost to ensure i got the biggest one i could beneath the cowling, even hand delivering on Friday night - not bad going considering they are based in Shropshire! (just happened the owner Ed lived about 10miles from me )

Total gent and fantastic customer service, definately recommended - price of the fan was £115inc - part number PF1311P.

Cheers
      David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Nice, look forward to seeing pictures of it in the engine bay, particularly space at the back :mischeif:
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Looks good, whats the wiring like as im guessing its not plug and play?
          Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

ok, little update after fitting it over the weekend.

Firstly this makes for a HUGE amount of extra space. I'll get a pic sorted but essentially you can get access right down to the engine mount and under the battery tray.

In terms of operation, I have mine wired to the stage 1 fan as that also will allow for the a/c to run.

In terms of noise, much quieter than the stock unit and seems to kick in and out happily and doesnt appear to need to run long.

One small note, if you retain the standard 3b top rdiator hose which goes to the water rail and the after-run pump, you will need to make a small indent on the cowl to avoid it rubbing. Also, as i have non standard p/s pipes, i made a cut on the side of the cowl to ensure they remained clear of that too. Its likely that stock pipework won;t be as close to it.
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Great write up, thanks. I'm planning on doing this to mine so really useful

Was it nearly bedtime in this pic
              Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

lol no was about 7:30am, coffee was on the windowsill and was the first thing i found to put on
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Good work David, nice to see you're playing again :mischeif:
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

here you go....the extra space created

and the small changes to the cowl to fit

sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Enough for a catch tank?
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

David, do you think there would be enough room under the ABY cowl for a 14" fan?
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

yes I think you could *just* about squeeze it in
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I'd remove the cowl entirely, as I can see no function for it with the new fan.

Comment

...about 20-30% increased efficiency by having the cowl in place apparently, hence the desire to retain it..
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X