This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To - Cleanly remove the main dashboard wiring loom

This isn't really S2 / RS2 specific but should be a useful guide for anyone needing to cleanly extract the main loom that is carried in the dashboard and connects to instrument cluster, ignition switch, radio, central switches etc

There are some pre-requisites before you can start the main sequence here...

0 - Disconnect the battery
    1 - remove centre console, radio and heating controls
    2 - remove the glovebox and the dash trim above drivers pedals
    3 - remove the instrument cluster
    4 - have the dashboard essentially ready for removal (two screws each side and that pesky awkward one where the central heating duct connects... you need to slide the dash towards the seat an inch or so to give clearance for removal as the loom is very tight to the steering column.

Now we can begin the main flow of things, working from drivers side towards passenger side --->

5 - Disconnect ALL the plugs at the wiring panel above drivers pedals
    6 - Unplug at the ignition switch and unclip the indicator relay
    7 - Remove the 3 screws that connecting the loom channel to the dash - above the drivers pedals
    8 - Unplug the red 5-pin connector on drivers side of centre console, nr footwell
    9 - Unplug at the chunky 2-pin connector near the previous step
    10 - Unplug at the brake light switch
    11 - Unplug at the heater controls and radio
    12 - Unplug at the auxiliary guages and illumination booster
    13 - Unplug at all the central cabin switches (fog lights etc etc)
    14 - Unplug at the glovebox lamp (probably done already when removing glovebox)
    15 - Unplug at the cabin fan blower
    16 - Unplug at the air temp switch/sensor in the plenum (HVAC vehicles only)
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Excellen write up thanks Paul. Ill be doing this soon on the cab so will be very very handy
    Cheers
    Gav
    S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
      Excellen write up thanks Paul. Ill be doing this soon on the cab so will be very very handy
      Cheers
      Gav
      I'll give you a hand to do this, I've done this around 10 times now, can remove a dash in around half hour and a loom in an hour now

Some good tips there paul - that screw on the side of the duct is a pita, most people decide if u just pull on the dash it pops that out save trying to get in there and unscrew it.

Comment

I have a screwdriver that *just* about let me unscrew that little blighter, but it wasn't for going back in - they must have had some oddball tool in the factory to do these - I cannot see another way around it.

@acidburn - pls let me know the next time you are stripping a loom out from a B3/B4 machine that had autocheck fitted - I need a section of the loom for a wee project.
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Usefull post thanks, I'm still in the process of changing my loom following an engine bay loom fire caused by the after run water pump wire fretting on the dip stick. Only been at it for 7 years. One day, she will live again..........

Comment

Thanks Paul...question,...how many of the steps are dependent on whether the car is RHD or LHD.?
            Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
            1991 Coupe Quattro
            1991 Coupe Quattro
            1995 S6 Sedan
            1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

Thanks Paul,

Ive done this 2 months ago, and after repairing it, im going to install it following your steps, but in reverse order. Ill try to take pictures of every connector and bolt to complete this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by S2Phil View Post
                Usefull post thanks, I'm still in the process of changing my loom following an engine bay loom fire caused by the after run water pump wire fretting on the dip stick. Only been at it for 7 years. One day, she will live again..........
                if you need a help let me know, I might be able to pop down give you a hand to swap this all over.

Comment

Many thanks for your offer, may take you up on it sometime, at the moment its race season so most of my time is spent working on the bike so the car once again takes a back seat.

Comment

Working...
                  X