Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator gone?

If it's not one thing its another!

The other day I got into the car. Turned the key. And then realised my battery was flat. How it went flat I did not know. All the lights were off etc etc etc so it weren't down to my negligence.

Anyways. I got a mate to jump start it. Took it for a massive spin (1 n half hours) to charge the bu**er up. But next day it was flat again. Re-charged it. Next day - flat again!

Went down to the local Kwik Fits today. The man told me that chances are the alternators gone cuz the battery does not seem to be re-charging. Does this sound like a valid cause?

If so any ideas guys how much a new alternators gonna set me back?

Alps

hi Alps,

yes, the battery is not charging, OR..... not holding a charge!!! you really need to know which it is as the cause of each type of problem will be very different.

You really need to know if the battery is being charged or not? if you can get the car started and when revved the battery light is still on? then charging problem (alternator, voltage regulator (or just bushes!) earth strap etc)

If not a charging problem, then just the battery has come to the end of its life.

Knowing the S2 alternator (ie how good it is!) I'd say a dead battery not holding a charge, even Kwik fit should be able to diagnose this for you.
    HTH
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

It could also be something electrical staying on, such as the light in the boot, dodgy alarm etc...

What reading do you get with the car running on the guage? If its above 13 then the alternator is most likely ok.

Comment

Thanks guys.

The first time the battery died the battery light did come one. But it hasnt done so since. Now when I start it (if it starts!) it just kinda chugs to a start. And once jumped/started, the battery gauge reads approx 14. Phew. So hopefully wont need a new alternator.

The strange thing is that the battery is literally just over a year old (darned thing has just gone passed the year guarantee ) - And I cant think of anything that would have caused it to drain out completely

Think I'll look into this before getting a new battery.

Alps

Comment

Alps, if you can get the battery 'drop tested' any garage or kwik fit style can do this FOC hopefully!

This will tell you if the battery is beyond use. Sometimes it happens mate.. 1 year or 10 years.. just never can tell...
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

If your voltage gauge says 14V, it's not the alternator. It's the battery that has died.

Does your charge indicator light work when engine not running? It's crucial as it's part or the circuit.
            -

Comment

I've just had a similar polova with mine, had a new battery a year ago, then the starter appeared to keep jamming, so got the starter re-cond. Still doing the same after re-fitting the new starter, however when I jumped it off the girlfriends car would fire fine, so spoke to AA technical advice, and they said must be the battery.

So back to motor world (3yr warrenty on the battery), which they tested and said it was fine... Also went to local garage who said it was fine also . Now totally confused, removed starter again, and returned to AV Taylor who re-con'd, and they sent to get done again.

This time on re-fitting starts fine , but what a p*ss on...

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                If your voltage gauge says 14V, it's not the alternator. It's the battery that has died.

Does your charge indicator light work when engine not running? It's crucial as it's part or the circuit.
                Erm, what is the charge indicator light?

I got the battery test done at the Kwik Fit - but the guy who did the test said that the only time the battery would be this low is if the alternator was gone. (With the car off the guy had a reading of '10'.) But with car running the interior gauge reads '14'.

Comment

if the batt are flat,is the the alternatorreg,and bushes gone!!!!!!!! the volt shud be.14,5volt min,with the ligths and fan on,att 2000rpm constant.change the batt to a fresh one,and new reg/bushes in alternator,with marked 14,8 or 15volt.....you have MUTCH better ingition and lights,and a full battery. you may measure the batt acids.THE FULL BATTACIDS; 1,275/1,280.....not at 1,22......8-((

Comment

Originally posted by scouser_75
                    Erm, what is the charge indicator light?
                    The one in your instrument cluster that has the battery sign.
                    -

Comment

Can't believe how stupid I must look (no one reply to that quote ) - I went to pick up a battery yesterday and the guy in the garage thought I was stupid enough to pay £87 for 1. I laughed in his face As I turned my back and started to walk out he said "OK, make it £80 for cash!" I laughed even harder

Gonna pop into my local twit fitters now.

Comment

Working...
                      X