Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indicator's in the New Golf's (prob other new VW's too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicator's in the New Golf's (prob other new VW's too)

Was driving my mates Mk5 Golf a lot last week and they have this cool thing for the indicators.... if you just tap it down it automatically blinks 3 times for lane changing etc which i thought was great, took me a couple of hours to adjust back to the S2 again... just wondered if any of the parts guru's could say whether this is just a clever relay or if the wiring it more complex??

Cheers guys
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Send one to BMW for evaluation......they need pretty explicit instructions on what to use it for though :LOL:

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

The new T5 transporter has it as well. On new VAG cars the hazard light switch is also the flasher relay. If the 3 flash system is built into it then it should be fairley easy to mod. If it's part of the vehicles central electrics system then it will be much more work.

It is a quite useful feature. I need to look at the wiring diagrams on ELSA for it.

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Cool, just thought that its such a good feature to have if its something thats easy to do then would be a very useful mod i reckon.

Let us know Ben if you get a chance
        Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I've had a look on ELSA. The indicator control is part of the vehicle electrics control system. It's a control unit that runs all the vehicle systems. No individual relays, just one control unit. That'll be fun when something goes wrong with it!!!

Maybe some kind of delay circuit could be made to make the indicators flash for so many seconds?

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

The newer Audis also have this feature. At least the B6 A4s do.
            Mark Siggelkow

'90 CQ 20vT - NASA GTS-5 (R.I.P.)
            '90 CQ-R - NASA GTS-4/5
            '00 A4 1.8TQMS (Wife's Daily Driver)
            '12 TT-RS (Wife's new DD, on order for May European delivery)
            '62 Porsche 356B (another race car)
            '03 Kawasaki Z1000 (toy)

Comment

In Golf V and recent Audi's this is integrated in the vehicle electronics, you can't do anithing with it for an S2.
              I got a small electro unit from a German hobbyist, that needs to be connected to the steering colum wiring. Haven't it installed yet, but it should give me a one touch tree blinks situation.
              Costs: 28Euro.

Peter

Comment

Sounds good Peter, let us know how you get on.
                Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

If it works I'm sure he'll do a few for us lads. I'd be interested.
                  Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                  S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

It might just be me, but what is the point in this? What's wrong with using your hand to move the stalk up or down to indicate. Its not that difficult.
                    ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

My mates new ford mondeo tdci does this too. As did the A4 tdi it replaced. (Ford was a LOT cheeper for him on his car schem in work)

Comment

Its just far easier to just tap down or up for lane changes instead of putting it on, moving lanes then taking it off..... ok so maybe its just a lazy thing, but i personally see it as a nice and very useful thing.
                        Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                          Its just far easier to just tap down or up for lane changes instead of putting it on, moving lanes then taking it off..... ok so maybe its just a lazy thing, but i personally see it as a nice and very useful thing.
                          I suppose its a bit like intermittent wipers. You wouldn't miss them, but once you actually have them, you'd never want to lose them.
                          ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                          X