Turnsignals do not cancel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnsignals do not cancel!

Help! My turnsignals have now stopped canceling! The little white plastic piece that suppose to click into position behind the steering wheel when you hit the turnsignal switch is now working sporadically(working less & less). Is there a way to fix this problem or do I need a new switch? How do you remove the switch it self? I've removed the upper cover of the housing but can't seem to figure out how to remove the bottom section that houses all the switch assemblies. I don't see any screws or press fittings under there. Is it force fitted? Right now I'm cancelling the signals manually and it's becoming a drag because I forget to do it from time to time. Help!!

All I can say is mine does exactly the same but i have so many other things wrong that ive lived with it for a year, pissing other motorists off . Oh well!
    I'll watch this thread for advice as well probably new indicator storks

Comment

You'll probably need a complete new stalk. They're a doddle to change if you don't have an airbag. If you do, then you need to disconnect it so you can remove the steering wheel safely.
      Once you've got the top cover off, disconnect the horn button. This is simply so that you don't annoy the neighbours. To take the steering wheel off, you need to press the horn button in and then twist it about 15° anti-clockwise. This will then pop off revealing the nut holding on your steering wheel. Not sure of the size, but 23mm rings a bell. You should now have excellent access to the stalks.
      To remove the bottom cover you have to remove 2 or 3 screws that go down through the switches. I'm doing this from memory and its been 8 months since I did it, so please excuse any ommisions or errors.
      To remove the stalks themselves, it is best to disconnect all cables and then slacken the allen bolt that holds the brass clamping ring on. It can be fun to get at as if it is located properly, then the allen key will be at the bottom. Once slackened, the stalks should just pull off towards you.
      Slip off the clamping ring, and the stalks should seperate into the indicator/lights and wiper sides.
      With practise you can do this in about 15 minutes. Whilst you've got it all in bits, its a good opportunity to take the dash out (just two more screws) and replace any faulty bulbs you might have.
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

The lug on the indicator switch is broken.
        -

Comment

Can anybody confirm Sidspud?

"To remove the bottom cover you have to remove 2 or 3 screws that go down through the switches."
          Can somebody confirm this procedure?? Can the screws be seen from the top or are they accessable from the bottom? I've looked all over the top with the upper cover removed and just can't see the screws??

Comment

The bottom cover is tightened to the steering column with a round tightener and this is loosened by one screw that you can find by looking in the hole from under side.
            You don't have to completely remove the screw, just loosen it. You have to remove the steering wheel to get the bottom cover out.
            I don't know about air bag cars, could be a lot different.
            -

Comment

Porkis, is it located in the oval hole?

And is it in an angled position. Will the lower cover fall off if the screw is entirely removed? Is there a clamp that holds the entire assmbly and does this screw hold the clamp in place? Thanks Porkis, I appreciate your help immensely.

Comment

The lower cover incorporate the slip ring for the horn and airbag(if fitted).

You remove the whole lot in one go by undoing the recessed fixing.

It will either be a screw:

or a 4mm allen bolt (2.5NM tightening torque if you want to be an anorak):

The switch assembly comes to pieces as shown below:

HTH,

Ben
                the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I had the same proble, and I repaired it. There are 2 springs (very jumpy ones) that hold that plastic crap in position. On mine, one spring jumped off. I just placed the spring in position and ... it works...
                  Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Now that's what I needed!

S2 thanks bunch!!

Comment

As I said - it was Christmass when I did it last. I remember now trying to undo that allen bolt, and now having seen the picture, the bottom cover is screwed in from the back of the stalks.
                      Sorry if I got anyone confused.
                      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                      X