Instrument cluster and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument cluster and others

Just like buses, when one problem arises, a whole load of others seem to tag along.
    The problems started with the instrument lights not working which turned out to be the fuse. But the fuse that was in was a 15 amp and the manual says to put in a 5 amp.
    Now the clock backlight randomly decides to work, the rear wiper doesnt work, and to top it off, when I select the headlights on, the backlights for the computer and ambient temp display go off with the instument cluster lights still not working.
    AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

If there is anybody with some electrical experience out there, I would gratefully accept any suggestions as I'm driving around with a torch on so I can see what speed I'm going.
    Dave

'93 ABY coupe

I would say the problem arises from the combination switch. Its not an uncommon problem, though I wouldn't be 100% sure the switch is faulty in your case. If you know anyone with even a stock switch without trip computer, it would be worth trying. Now where's that friendly breaker...

Comment

Sounds very similar to my experience with a cracked dimmer rheostat - see here.
      Like you my illumination stopped working & the clock, ambient temp & fuel computer all dimmed when headlights were turned on. Also got some other weird symptoms like fog light switch light coming on when you selected reverse Everything returned to normal with a new rheostat fitted. HTH.
      Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Argh, didn't read post properly. I thought you had no headlamps working. I'm inclined to agree with Peter.

Siena

Comment

The instument lights problem has been solved mostly, and I'm just a little embarrassed to say it was the dimmer control, I had it turned all the way down. DOH.

The clock light still comes on and off intermitidly and the back washer still doesn't work so I'll look for that switch you suggested.
          Cheers
          Dave

'93 ABY coupe

Comment

Working...
          X