Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with modding MIL circuit!

this is probably a long short...

i have a cq20v and want to add the MIL to it with a small switch for the jumper to activate it, the switch would be with my diagnostic plugs in the footwell

anyway the instructions on s2central are for S2's only, there is no difference apart from the legend in the instrument cluster and the position for the MIL bulb is already used by the oil warning lamp

what position is the lamp for the cabriolet roof operation?
    if i can find this out and it is a spare place on my cluster i can just do it as per instructions using pin 26 on the yellow connector on the cluster

otherwise its a case of finding out which pin on the connector relates to the unused legends on my cluster...

hope this makes sense??

i could disregard the oil warning lamp as its on the autocheck and then use that, but i dont want to do that if i can help it

has anyone added this circuit to thier cq20v or any other coupe and had to moddify it?
    any help hugely appreciated

Russ

have 5cylinders, quattro and 20 valves, but no turbo yet

Dunno
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I'm not familiar with that one. What's MIL, mother-in-law?
      Kenneth
      1990 Coupe quattro
      1991 200q20v x 2
      1985 4ksq 20vt project
      1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
      2006 Honda Ridgeline
      1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

MIL = malfunction indicator lamp (i think)

the californian cars had a light in the instrument cluster (under autocheck) that read the fault codes

this basically saves having to mess around with L.E.D's and such like

im now going to wire direct to the back of the diagnostic plugs to an LED that i shall mount in a spare postion in the instrument cluster and use a small switch mounted down by the diagnostic plugs in the drivers footwell

this switch acts as the jumper cable, so to access codes you just have to switch on the switch and they will be flashed up on the dash

have you never seen S2central??

cant get the exact page but go to 'technical' then 'ecu' then 'diagnostics' then 'fault codes' and you'll see the link for the MIL here it is.... http://s2central.net/main_frame.html

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by ess-two
          MIL = malfunction indicator lamp (i think)

the californian cars had a light in the instrument cluster (under autocheck) that read the fault codes

this basically saves having to mess around with L.E.D's and such like

im now going to wire direct to the back of the diagnostic plugs to an LED that i shall mount in a spare postion in the instrument cluster and use a small switch mounted down by the diagnostic plugs in the drivers footwell

this switch acts as the jumper cable, so to access codes you just have to switch on the switch and they will be flashed up on the dash

have you never seen S2central??

cant get the exact page but go to 'technical' then 'ecu' then 'diagnostics' then 'fault codes' and you'll see the link for the MIL here it is.... http://s2central.net/main_frame.html
          Ah! I get it. Over here in the U.S., we call that the CEL, or Check Engine Light. Not so much for Audi's, I've also heard people here refer to their similar lights on other marques as SES or Service Engine Soon lights.

Actually, I hadn't perused the S2Central.net website before. I think I've heard of it, but it didn't look like that when I last saw it. I don't have an S2 per se (but I do have two 3B motors), so I haven't done searches for more model-specific info. I ran into this forum, and love it , because of all the technical 20vt engine building threads and interesting projects.
          Kenneth
          1990 Coupe quattro
          1991 200q20v x 2
          1985 4ksq 20vt project
          2006 Honda Ridgeline
          1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

i see, S2central and S2forum are as one

Russ

Comment

Sort of. S2central (Paul Nugent) is an Admin. on here, aswell as being the webmaster of S2central(his own site)
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

And me and my mates call it the Change Engine Light here
                -

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                  Sort of. S2central (Paul Nugent) is an Admin. on here, aswell as being the webmaster of S2central(his own site)
                  Yep - the S2 Forum grew out of the original Yahoo based forum that I had for S2 Central, but thankfully for me and all of us, Mikki McLoughlin (serious webhead and fellow S2 owner) offered to set this wonderful site up for us.

Talking of Mikki - he's been offline a mighty long time, so I must chase him down sometime soon !

As for the MIL circuit - its best to dismantle the cluster to see which unused lamp spaces are available. There are many different coloured legends for those lamps depending on territory and car variant.

I *think* the info on S2 central covers two possible locations with pin information. Check operation of the lamp before cutting into the loom.

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

i know which spaces i have spare, just 2 on the top row, 1 is the airbag, and the other a choke sign

im going to use the airbag space an just back wire it like a normal home made fault code reader but from the rear of the diagnostic plugs with a small switch for the jumper, at least this way i know it will work

i thought the 3B was basically based on the cq20v as far as the diagnostics were concerned, but i dont have those position free ho humm

Russ

Comment

Here's site you can get your answers in spades....

Audiworld Forum in the States. Those guys have done things to their cars that no normal owner would do. From what you want to do, they have already done, in several different ways. Ask them. Tell them I sent you.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
                        Audiworld Forum in the States. Those guys have done things to their cars that no normal owner would do. From what you want to do, they have already done, in several different ways. Ask them. Tell them I sent you.
                        Lol, that's what we say about you guys!

Also, for some MIL/CEL information, you can also check here:
                        http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...g/ecuf20v.html

This is for the 3B-equipped 200q20v, but maybe it will help.
                        Kenneth
                        1990 Coupe quattro
                        1991 200q20v x 2
                        1985 4ksq 20vt project
                        2006 Honda Ridgeline
                        1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

cheers guys yeah, i have looked at the 'smj' site

have now done it 'my' way and it works fine, cheers fellas

Russ

Comment

Working...
                          X