Recommend a fault code reader or Vag-com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a fault code reader or Vag-com

I need a some form of vag-com or fault code reader asap. The main reason is to diagnose problems with a faulty cabriolet roof. But it would have to be a good unit for use on the S2 also. I'm leaning towards a stand alone scanner that doesn't require a laptop as my laptop has battery issues!

Can anyone recommend a particular model?

I've found several on ebay for ~£20-£50 but would like to buy a good one rather than a pos. A few options:

VS 450
    VC 210
    Tool 47
    Vgate VS450
    Quicklynks T45

Most of these look like cheap chinese rip offs so any guidance much appreciated.
    Last edited by Colesy; 26 March 2012, 10:53.

I've got the 3rd one and can confirm that it does what it says on the tin, I all so have full VAG COM on my lap top but these are great just to keep in the glove box.

Comment

Here's a link for you -

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...light=vag+lead

I have a cheap blue effort off eBay and it reads codes well enough but can't do anything else. For logging, you'll want at least an ecu tool lead or proper VAG Com.
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I bought an Autel Maxscan VAG405. It came with 3 leads, one 16pin and one 4 pin (2black & 2 white) and also a USB cable for updating software.

I have used this with my old 2000 S6 4.2, my '99 cabriolet and my S2 with no problems.

It is only a code reader so no changes can be made (other than clearing the fault memory and re setting service indicators), but is simple to use and so far has proved reliable

Comment

As far as I know none of the cheaper handheld readers will talk to the electric roof though. They generally do engine ecu,airbag,abs, auto box. VCDS will talk to every module the car has to offer.
          My advice buy VCDS it not that expensive, the expense comes when you buy the hardware. The HEX/CAN cables aren't cheap but will talk to all models.
          However if you are working on none CAN cars a cheap K-line cable from ebay will do.

Comment

Working...
          X