Ignition Barrel Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Barrel Question

I think my ignition barrrel has a problem, when I crank the car, it doesnt go to neutral postion by itself. I have to force it back. Sometimes, even the car runs fine, some electrical parts are not working.

I have a question, when I buy an ignition barrel, does it come with the keys?
    Cheers

Murat

It is the ignition switch which is the problem.A very common occurence on these cars.Replace the switch with part no.4A0 905 849C,and you are good to go.A simple 30 min.job.Disconnect the battery first.GL.

Comment

I checked local parts supplier, they have 4a0 905 849b which looks like it also fits according to ETKA,
      do you know what is the difference?
      Cheers

Murat

Comment

Yes,the difference is the end of the switch,where the barrel fits in.It is too small.It does not fit.(I needed a C switch,because my switch was an A,which no longer exist,and they are superceded by the C switch.)But first,take yours out to see if it is indeed an A switch.Perhaps you got lucky,and do have a B switch.GL and report back

Comment

You were right, actually it was a C

Changed it, everything is fine. But sometimes the dashboard is not working now.
          Cheers

Murat

Comment

Originally posted by murat View Post
            You were right, actually it was a C
            . But sometimes the dashboard is not working now.
            It looks like the connection on the back of dash is loose.
            sigpic_________
            Rob

Comment

Not only speedo or rpm

Voltmeter, oil pressure, oil temp, autocheck all of them stopped working.

Could this be a relay problem?
              Cheers

Murat

Comment

If this problem didn't exist until after the switch was replaced I would check the pins in the connector on the ignition switch. One of them might have backed out of the connector.

Comment

Problem existed before the switch was replaced. Sometimes they work. Maybe 1 out of 10 times.

I thought i was caused by the faulty switch but it looks like something else.

Could this be because of the x-contact relay?

What affects both dashboard and auxilliary gauges at the same time?
                  Cheers

Murat

Comment

Bump, checked the X-relay, it seems working

What can it be?
                    Cheers

Murat

Comment

Working...
                    X