Alternator not charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator not charging?

Car is now running once again, bar one or two bits and bobs (oil cooler leak included)
    Ive noticed the Alternator isnt charging the battery. WHen the engine is running the voltage guage isn't going up. (Staying at 8V with a fairly low battery).

Im generally quite good at fault finding but i only found this out late last night so i havent looked much into it yet, just thought i'd get some advice before i get stuck in on the weekend.

The alternator seems to be wired up, the belt is on, and the alternator isn't making dodgy noises. Alternator was fine when i took it off the road 3 years ago but the car has been completely apart and back together since. I havent checked the alternator with a Voltmeter when running, but that would be my next thing to try.

Any ideas of what else it could be?
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

have out the regulator( small unit in the back of generator with 2 small bolts).. they does have a feder/ ground inside/a bit of plateunit... you have to skratch it so you have the ground/earth connection ... then it will be ok...

Comment

Nice one! I'll give that a go too.
      Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
      03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
      01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

yup, clean the regulator & check the belt tension
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Check with a multimeter too, in case it's the gauge / wiring.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

you also have the wiring (in the yellow?? plastic) there you have the small 1,5mm2 connector for the chargelamp in the dash... they also goin to be "old" ... have a look for those

Comment

Working...
            X