Replacing dashboard cluster lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing dashboard cluster lights?

A couple of bulbs that light my dashboard are on the blink. Bottom right of the rev counter (so can't see beyond 5000rpm in the dark), and bottom left of speedometer (so can't see if I'm doing less than 20mph in the dark!).

Just wondered how I get the dashboard console off, and what specification of bulbs I need to use to replace them? Obviuosly I'll replace all the bulbs in one go to prevent me having to repeat the operation in 3 months time...

All hail the mighty S2forum and it's knolwedgable members
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

See S2Central - There's a cluster removal guide there together with bulb part numbers.
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
      A couple of bulbs that light my dashboard are on the blink. Bottom right of the rev counter (so can't see beyond 5000rpm in the dark), and bottom left of speedometer (so can't see if I'm doing less than 20mph in the dark!).

Just wondered how I get the dashboard console off, and what specification of bulbs I need to use to replace them? Obviuosly I'll replace all the bulbs in one go to prevent me having to repeat the operation in 3 months time...

All hail the mighty S2forum and it's knolwedgable members
      Go to s2central.com you will find the information there, I think. There is a quite lot of information you will need. Hope that you get your bulbs ok

Comment

Ta! I was on s2central yesterday looking at aux-radiator removal, must have missed the cluster-bomb section!

Comment

easy:

Take off top of steering column shroud via screws below.
          Undo screws in front of cluster.
          Rotate cluster thro 90 deg.
          Reach behind and try to undo connectors
          Hurt fingers
          Reach bening and try to undo clips again with screw driver.
          Drop screwdriver
          Reach behind and try to undo small clips over connectors.
          Reach behind and undo connectors.
          Carefully slide cluster out from behind steering wheel.
          (It will come out if rotated to precisely the right angle.. )

Change bulbs at your leisure.

Refitting is reversal of removal......

HTH

Steve
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Did someone post a link to somewhere where you get the bulbs cheap? Or are the dealer only?
            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Jas (fourrings) got them off ebay. They are pinball/arcade machine lights.

Post the link Jas
              Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
              S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

I got mine at the local motor factor, (not Halfrauds they are really expensive). I think I paid £0.50 each or something. 1.2 watt IMSMC
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

And bizarrely, last night, all my dash lights are now working fine again. WTF?! Glad I did'nt get round to doing this yet.

Comment

Mine does this once in a while. I'll be driving along and the fuel gauge light will go out or one half of the speedo. Couple of days later and it's working fine again.

Ben
                    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Guess there's a slightly dodgy earth down in the dash wiring somewhere then perhaps?

Comment

Could well be. It's not something I want to start searching for. I'll let the car have it's little moments. I've still got to work out why the passenger window only works from the drivers side. The passenger side switch is fine and all the wiring is as it should be.

Ben
                        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Working...
                        X