Fan switch, where is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan switch, where is it?

Hi, driving in this morning on the m25 crawling in traffic and noticed that the first stage fan wouldnt start at just about 90 degs always reassuring in sub 15mph traffic. I confirmed it by trying to run the aircon, which you can hear/feel the compressor clutch engage/disengage. Then after a few minutes and the temp rising to mid 90's degs the 2nd stage sprung into life.....

Any idea why the first would fail but the 2nd stage run?

I need to pop out to GSF at lunch, any idea on the part number and its physical location in the engine bay, I can't remember anymore...

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

David,
    Mine's had the same problem for a while now. Martyn swapped my rad fan switch (part no. 191 959 481 C)for me but it made no difference. It's located in the bottom of the rad.

We also swapped the fan relays around in the fusebox which made no difference either. Hopefully getting the resistor pack checked this week.
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

S2central.net tech section has some info on fan relay placement and other info...
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

hmmm, sounds like a problem with many variables.....******. I have heard of problems with the resistor packs before, is there a simple way of testing/checking/replacing these as a matter of course or does it require some soldering?

Cheers guys,

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

You can do a continuity check on the 3 resistor terminals. On ABY/ADU there's a seperate resistor pack located underneath the n/s headlamp & bumper area. According to S2Central though it looks like the fan resistor network on 3Bs may be integral with the fan motor.
          Last edited by Pete_RS2; 15 December 2004, 13:37.
          Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

I think my fan only runs on turbo speed, ive never seen it run at any other speed, apart from when the aircon is on and it runs at a lower speed, otherwise its full speed or nothing.
            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
              I think my fan only runs on turbo speed, ive never seen it run at any other speed, apart from when the aircon is on and it runs at a lower speed, otherwise its full speed or nothing.
              Ant - check that resistor pack - I remember I thought the first speed never worked on your car and at one point I shorted the resistors out to test it - it was that long ago I can not remember if I put it back.

Does the afterun pump/fan mod not test the slow rad speed? Try shorting the temp sensor on the side of the block and see if the pump and the rad fan run for 10minutes.
              S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

There should be 3 fan speeds:

Low Speed works with a/c or afterrun pump.

Hi Speed-1 comes on at ~ 95 degC.

Hi Speed-2 comes on at ~ 102 degC.
                Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Thanks Doug, i'll take a look tomorrow as im off work.

IF the fan is running and i turn the ignition off it stops the fan also and ive never heard the after run pump either... think i'll be taking a look tomorrow
                  Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                  2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

if i turn the car off with the fan running, it also kills the fan, always has, though i think it isnt correct, having said that I can feel the afterrun pump working though, i just guessed that the coolant wasnt hot enough to invoke the fan
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

FYI
                      3B cars do not have a resistor pack for the fan. Only a single resistor for the after run speed. 3B fans are internally 2 speed ones.
                      ABY cars have a 1 speed fan and a resistor pack.
                      -

Comment

checked when i got home that the after run pump came on and it didnt feel like it, i.e. if i touched the top hose going back into the main radiator i couldnt feel it vibrating a little as normal?

So low speed fan and no after run pump - are these linked to a specific item thats failed...?
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X