Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight loom upgrade

Hi guys

So I was thinking today and chatting with my brother about headlights and loom improvements to make them brighter. For those of us with the non elipsoid headlights, does anyone know if the brightness can be improved by doing a loom upgrade with a relay etc? Its the same as the upgrade the T4 boys do... http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-t4-short-...1134-741-p.asp

This is the kit but I know it can be made for a few hours of time and alot cheaper. Do you think it would improve the standard 3B style headlights enough to make it worth doing?

Yes the improvements that can be had are big, I was looking at doing this on mine, not go around to it yet.
    Instead of HIDs I was going to relay the lights and use 100W competition lamps

Maybe I should look at making a harness
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

This is something I'd definitely be interested in. Sometimes I feel I could turn my lights off and not notice the difference

Comment

Yup it should make a big difference.

Just measure the current voltage at the headlights, if it is lower than at the alternator you can get more light for "free", I am sure somebody measured it before, and it was 11.5v or something like that.

The light output drop from voltage drop is crazy.

Carefull, if you go mad with the wattage you can melt the reflector.
        Just buy a couple of relays (or repurpose them if you want Audi ones for OEM points), and make your own loom, I hacked up a pair of old headlights to make a true plug and play harness without cutting the loom.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Yes Alex I think it woudl be worth you making some to move on. I know I would definately buy a set. If its any use to you I know these can be had from sources at around ÂŁ40 - ÂŁ45. I will be a guineapig again if you want bud? Lol

I was wondering if anyone had done it yet is all as I was thinking about making one with my brother who claims to have the knowledge (Im sure if you made them though Alex, they would look alot smarter and OEM lol)
          I already have the Bosch (?) bulb upgrades in mine and they make a difference but I was thinking the loom would be perfect for those of us who want to keep the original headlights in our cars. I for one actually am not a fan of the way the ellopsoid headlights look and I dont want to fit HID's due to MOT and other hassles you will get for having them.

Comment

How much would HID's gain from getting the full 12v?
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

This was a common mod on corrados. They too had poor headlights

Comment

The simplest mod is to put a second ground with a 2.5mm wire from the bulb's connector to the chassis . You will gain 1V at the bulb's terminals.
                A little more hard mod is to use relays and is not the best way if you want to keed the car OEM and to have also better lights.
                Audi S4 2.2T 5 spd 1992 for parts
                AUDI A4 1.9TDI daily use

Audi 80 Quattro 2.0 16V (ACE) aka Competition

Comment

Here is a good explanation of why

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

In many cases, the thin factory wires are inadequate even for the stock headlamp equipment. Headlamp bulb light output is severely compromised with decreased voltage. The drop in light output is not linear, it is exponential with the power 3.4. For example, let's consider a 9006 low beam bulb rated 1000 lumens at 12.8 Volts and plug in different voltages:

10.5V : 510 lumens
                  11.0V : 597 lumens
                  11.5V : 695 lumens
                  12.0V : 803 lumens
                  12.5V : 923 lumens
                  12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
                  13.0V : 1054 lumens
                  13.5V : 1198 lumens
                  14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
                  14.5V : 1528 lumens

The Europeans take a slightly more realistic with their voltage ratings; they consider output at 13.2v to be "100%". The loss curve is the same, though. When operating voltage drops to 95 percent (12.54v), headlamp bulbs produce only 83 percent of their rated light output. When voltage drops to 90 percent (11.88v), bulb output is only 67 percent of what it should be. And when voltage drops to 85 percent (11.22v), bulb output is a paltry 53 percent of normal! It is much more common than you might think for factory headlamp wiring/switch setups to produce this kind of voltage drop, especially once they're no longer brand new and the connections have accumulated some corrosion and dirt.
                  I don't think upping the voltage to HIDs gives more light, I think they either work, or don't as long as they get voltage in a certain range.

If Alex can make a plug and play loom to the same quality as his others, it would be pretty cool, very easy too hook up, and would look pretty stealthy.
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Andy10V you're right. HId's use less power hence less amps to work. IF the wire is thin you will have the voltage but if you need more amp you;ll get a voltage drop . Hope it make sense
                    Audi S4 2.2T 5 spd 1992 for parts
                    AUDI A4 1.9TDI daily use

Audi 80 Quattro 2.0 16V (ACE) aka Competition

Comment

Sounds like Alex would sell a few of these quite quickly lol

Comment

The following link has a plug and play light update kit in the shop for our cars:
                        http://audi100.net/Shop/shop.html

I've bought several other parts at this webshop and they were a pleasure to deal with.
                        5 cilinder addict:
                        1995 UrS6, 2.2 turbo, daily driver, EFI coilkit, custom exhaust.
                        1993 S2, 2.2 turbo, ABY, long term project.
                        2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI. Because reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                          Instead of HIDs I was going to relay the lights and use 100W competition lamps
                          Expect a flying brick yourway from drivers going opposite way.
                          5vtq gte

Comment

Originally posted by Val View Post
                            Expect a flying brick yourway from drivers going opposite way.
                            Only if headlights are misaligned.

Comment

The separate is 100% worth doing, it makes a big difference to the light output. Remember to fuse it, and use a crimping tool and heat shrink, as you only want to do it right and do it once.

There are H4 bulbs that are 100/160w, and H1 bulbs that are 130w, but the heat would be too much for our plastic reflector shells.

Also use a 15volt regulator in your alternator, as this will increase the voltage at your headlight bulb regardless of the wattage of the bulb or the condition of the loom.

While the loom would be easy to make up out of parts from the breakers for some, for others who prefer a plug and play, it would be well worth Alex making up a kit, as his loom for coils is very good.

IMO HID is the best in ellipsoid headlights, but for 3b / v6 lights, a 15v reg, a loom and higher than normal output performance bulbs but still 55w, would be a big improvement over standard.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                              X