No announcement yet.

Headlight loom upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Do you think if Alex feels the pressure neough from thsi thread he may start making the kits? Lol) No pressure Alex (Not much anyway haha)

Comment

I need to sort something like this out for myself anyway mate
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Well when you do, make two sets up at least lol.

Comment

my b3 has a light loom. its good tbh for b3 lights.

think the early ones suffer from same problem vw golf do. V drop.

my mate used to build looms for trimsport for golf 1 and 2. they work well.

id say minbe are as good as s2 lights on the b3.

Comment

You know the way after market HIDs take a few seconds to 'warm up' and give out decent light.

How do modern expensive cars with factory oem HIDs flash their HIDs to good effect during daylight hours to say, let someone out of a side road ?

If anyone knows…….

Reason being, I'm it would be pointless putting aftermarket HIDs into an S2's main beam headlight ?

Thanks.

Comment

I have a question. With the S2 and the battery in the back you will loose some power because of the distance. Can you tap into the central electrics panel to grab some power for the relays?

Comment

There are headlight loom upgrades available from 'Olli' in Germany, that does take the power directly from the underside of the fuse board.

Comment

I would take it from the starter motor, its closer and directly connected to the battery with a beast of a cable. Plus I have log since run out of 30a supplies at the fuse board
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Not sayin it was right, but when going to a seperate fused relayed headlight loom on my Mk 1 Golf with it's oem wiring for candle like headlights, I took the power directly from the alternator.

With the new 15v reg, the voltage / light output didn't change in sympathy with the engine speed increasing and decreasing.

Comment

Alex, would your kit work for an avant too? (If you make one that is )

Comment

Its a quite old topic, but i need to solve this too The old non lens headlights are really bad in the night, i see literally nothing Buying Lens headlights are the last and the most expensive option So who solve this?

Cheers
                        Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Tom,

Looming task ahead of you. This thread is really pretty good already...

You surely have at least the basic but also quite capable H4 equipped euro-code (E1?) type headlights (with adjacent but separate plastic turn-signals), correct? Is the outer glass surface or the reflectors somehow degraded?

There isn't one simple single thing (no silver bullet anywhere here) which alone would ensure adequate lighting, but in the details above you will find the necessary means to combine for success.

I was surprised to find that a 1960's VW bus (from which I harvestred H4 style bulb connectors) had obviously heavier gauge factory head-light wiring than my coupe!

You may want to try:

- Even with bulbs of stock capacity (which with these mods may well turn out to be sufficient, that was my experience), to install a relayed loom. As was suggested above, either buy a Just Kampers or Daniel Stern type loom upgrade (or follow the DanielSternLighting.com schematic for one and D-I-Y), not just to net the results of reduced voltage drop which is reason enough, but to also unload the fragile ignition switch;

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

https://www.justkampers.com/uprated-...1990-2003.html

- Put the required relays in a weather-sealed box;

- Imagine a triangle with the alternator, battery and one headlight, each at an apex, then try to mount the relay-box in that triangle as close to the one head-light as possible;

- Unconnected, you can build your new system on the car bit by bit; while you continue to use the old one, then finally switch over;

- Attend to the condition of the chassis and engine ground connections, similarly the battery and alternator connections, as they need to be as new or better and kept that way with some type of weather-proofing; &

- Your alternator and it's regulator may not be giving you the volts (like the Audi100.net 14.5 (or .6) V regulators) will.

To put some use-able day-light between you and the darkness, the above will together give you a most practical and inexpensive boost to any lights, perhaps the ones you already have.

Hth
                          Last edited by Lago Blue; 15 February 2019, 01:13.

Comment

Hello Mods,

Please consider moving this thread to the Electrical forum so that it might be more easily found, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
                              Hello Mods,

Please consider moving this thread to the Electrical forum so that it might be more easily found, thanks.
                              Moved to electrical
                              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                              X