newbie question, electrical mirrors acting up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie question, electrical mirrors acting up

well, first of all, only owned my 91 3B for a week and im loving it, and hoping to have alot of good years with it, and this forum. Just got the engine oil changed to the 10w-60 castrol RS alot of people seem very fund of on this site.

But my electrical mirrors acting funny. They will go up and down, but sometimes not sideways. Had the doorpanel in the driver side off, and cheked the connections. It seems that with the harness connector in a VERY precise location in reference to the switch it will work. if moved the slightest it dosent.

So, i am thinking that maybe one of the little connector pins on the switch itself, is not soldered properly, but before i buy i new switch, is there an easy fix to my problem.

Perhaps the switch itself can be taken apart and cleaned, or could i use one from a "normal" type 89 or is the switch only for the S2.

Also, have noticed that if i push the car a few meters with the engine off, then i will get an brake error message (along with the 3 bing noises) on the board computer when switching the ignition to on, the message will only go away after the engine has been started and the car moved by it's own power a few meters, then shut off, and restarted.

Is it a problem to move the car with the engine off?

Finally, the cars original anti theft protection system has at some point been deactivated so now it does not work. Is there any way (other than going to a shop) to get this to work again, or should i perhaps look for a whole new alarm system?

glad to see you could make it over here! I don't have any answers for you, but this'll bring your thread to the top! Good luck!
    Joe "NoNonsense"
    axis motorsport
    joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

All t89 cars have the same switch and possibly the same is used on some other platform models too like t44?
      It can be taken apart. Replace the bulbs at the same time as they don't last forever.

Your hydraulic accumulator aka bomb is dead. Use the forum search or google to find out more about the issue.

The original alarm is a joke. Get a better one.
      -

Comment

Well we finally got here eh? I was hoping you'd get here sooner or later.

My suggestion to you paid off.
        As for your mirror problem, 2 things...
        1/ As suggested on AW, check your switch but before you do.....
        2/ Check inside the rubber bellows between the door and the body. The constant strain on the wires will sometimes break the insulation and expose the wires which at times will make contact or ground out.

As for your lite, check the Pentosin reservoir, then check the PS pump. Is their PS/Pentosin fluid all about? Sometimes the lite will come on because of a shortage of Pentosin in the reservoir, other times the belt is loose but in this case the BOMB could be telling you bye-bye. Got to 20v.org and they will give you way to test the integrity of the bomb.

You will need the Bentley Manual for this one because you will need the electrical schematics to test it.
        BTW on the AW, I'm known as Regenmeister.

Comment

Originally posted by panzerwagen
          My suggestion to you paid off.
          I believe I was the first one to suggest this forum...
          Joe "NoNonsense"
          axis motorsport
          joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

No matter, at least he got here.

You get my mail?

Comment

I will try the bomb/brake test tommorow. Will also check the PS fluid.

Basicly i need to drive the car, park and swithc off engine, and then press the brakepedal and count the number i get before i gets stiff, correct?

And i should be able to get more than 50?

But the car only does it when left overnight or when pushed around, never when driving, so if i get 50ish pumps and fluid is ok, do i need to replace the bomb?

After some reading, seems like alot of people get this warning when starting their car after it's been sitting for a while.

Comment

My electric mirrors play up occasionally, but its down to the switchpack in the door. Its normally these that pack up anyway, so id try one of the first...
                Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

"After some reading, seems like alot of people get this warning when starting....."

their car after it's been sitting for a while.?"
                  It happens to me. No problem after 14 years.

Comment

A little update.

got around to changing the the hydraeulic fluied the other day. It came out very thick compared to the Goo2000 i added instead, and the colour of the old one did not look nice either.

Now the car's been sitting without being started for 5-6 days, and when i did start it.... No alarms, just the "bremslicht" and then "ok"

Funny thogh, i would think, that a bad bomb would be bad anyway, even with the new fluid, but the Autocheck at least seems to think everything is ok

Comment

It's that brake bomb / hydraulics Autocheck game again.....

We have all played it and all live with beep beep beep every now and then!

Cheers,

Steve.
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

The wrong PAS fluid *can* cause false bomb scares... Left in long enough it can destroy your PAS pump, bomb, brake servo and steering rack. Use G2000 only !

Lots of bomb and hydraulic info on the running gear chapter at http://s2central.net BTW
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

thx, seems like i maybe been lucky getting the old stuff out of the car.

So ill just be happy with the "no alarms", it is really quite a joy to see the "OK" pop up after start

Comment

Working...
                          X