What colour bulb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What colour bulb?

I am going to change the bulb in my outside temperature readout.
    It works fine but is almost impossible to see due to the lack of back light. Previously I tried to fit the subminture clear bulbs from Maplin as suggested on S2 Central, however the bulbs that were supplied were too long to fit - see here , largely due to the way they had attached the wire to the base.
    Anyway I noticed that they do coloured subminature bulbs (see here ). These look more suitable as they have not been wired so easier to solder in etc. Also Maplins do 12V 3mm LEDs , like these .
    So I have now got 2 red & 2 yellow of the subminature bulbs and 2 red & 2 yellow of the LEDs.
    What colour do you think will work best through the red filter?
    The bulbs will be easier to do than the LEDs, but will the LEDs be better?
    Any advice welcome.
    TIA
    Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
    Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

I tried a clear sub-min bulb in mine first but it only lasted about 6 months before blowing again. I've got a red LED in there now. I don't think it matters what colour you use with the red filter - I didn't notice any difference.
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

I just changed mine to a red 3mm 12v led - real easy to do - and looks good to me.
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug, which pad is cathode when using an LED? Mines been dead for about 2 years now so I should get it fixed. I know I ahve a 50:50 chance but if you have the answer that would be cool. It is always handy in Winter to have the sensor.
        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Cathode is the short lead.

If you look at the 2 tracks to power the bulb/led - one of them goes through a via to pin 8 of an 8 pin IC - that pin is +12v - so that is what you connect the anode (long lead) of the LED to.

I found the through plated holes for the bulb were tiny, so I cut the ends of the leads of the led and bent them at 90 degrees - then you have a surface mount LED!

I have 4 suitable LEDs if anyone wants them - they can do the fix at Greg's garage meet - should only take 20 minutes to do.

HTH - It was a few days ago I did this so - so I hope I am remembering correctly !
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Knew the LED end...was just after the board end. Think I might wait until the garage meet unless the rain and winds dies down a bit soon.

Cheers Doug
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Do all the s2 models have the outside temp display? Im not sure if mine should have one or not... well if it has it isnt working, so if you could have a look for me pls Doug
              Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Mine doesn't. Just a blank plastic space.
                SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
                  Mine doesn't. Just a blank plastic space.
                  Just wondered if the bulb went and it just looks slightly dark, although i cant see any numbers on it.... I suppose if it doesnt take too long i could take the clocks out to have a look..
                  Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

This must be the cheapest repair possible on our cars, with the part price being £0.18p
                    Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                      Just wondered if the bulb went and it just looks slightly dark, although i cant see any numbers on it.... I suppose if it doesnt take too long i could take the clocks out to have a look..
                      You should still be able to see the readout during the day if the bulb has gone,,,,just on a night when you can't.
                      Maybe the display module is duff, if you have it fitted,,,,only thing to do is, as you say, remove clocks and have a look. I've always thought that the temp display was standard on the S2,,,,well the ABY's anyway.
                      Alastair replaced the display module on mine before I bought it from him,,,but even that wasn't an easy job, as Audi kept on giving him one that read in 0F instead of 0C as he had asked
                      I've replaced the bulb with a red LED from maplins.
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

If you look here on S2 Central , I think the ambient temperature display was only fitted from 1994 on
                        Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2

Comment

Wouldnt mind bicking one of those LED's to do mine with, been meaning to do it for far too long.

ta

Greg

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                          Cathode is the short lead.

If you look at the 2 tracks to power the bulb/led - one of them goes through a via to pin 8 of an 8 pin IC - that pin is +12v - so that is what you connect the anode (long lead) of the LED to.

I found the through plated holes for the bulb were tiny, so I cut the ends of the leads of the led and bent them at 90 degrees - then you have a surface mount LED!

I have 4 suitable LEDs if anyone wants them - they can do the fix at Greg's garage meet - should only take 20 minutes to do.

HTH - It was a few days ago I did this so - so I hope I am remembering correctly !
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                          X