Gremlins In My Electrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gremlins In My Electrics

Following on from the blowing fuse problem I'm having at the moment I can't quite understand what's going on with it all.

Having replaced fuses No 4 and 14 which is courtesy lights, radio, trip computer, and clock, and fuse 14 for the dash illumination everything was working for a few hours until fuse 4 blew so I lost all power to the bits an bobs on that fuse, it was when I turned on the lights because of fog that everything lit up including all the bits that run on fuse 4 which promptly went off and on until I got to work but the dash lights stayed on. Then on the way home in the night I switched on the headlights and everything came home so I turned of the radio but to my surprise it came back on so I turned it back of and a minute later it came back on it did this six times until I got home. The next day I had no power to all on fuse 4 but when I put the lights on everything lit up then went of and I only had light to the boost gauge and glove box of which the boost gauge is tapped into and that runs of fuse 4 so I'm to what's going on here.

I have no experience with electrics so need some advice plse.
    Last edited by bilko0795; 11 October 2014, 17:50.

Anyone got any ideas.

Comment

Have you checked your earth points, maybe it's needing cleaned tightened etc. I had a similar issue with my disco and found a wire cut in the harness, when it was touching the body it shorted a fuse for the side light rear light and dash. I know it's not related but maybe worth checking. Have you a multimeter to hand also

I've seen workshop pdf's for electrical floating about.

Comment

O.k thanks, have a multimeter but not confident enough on how to use it

Comment

Sounds like its shorting out somewhere...I'd start looking at the connectors and cleaning them up, checking earth points and just visually checking as much as possible. Someone will be along shortly with more leccy based fault finding. Like you, I'm not confident with a MM to offer much more!
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X