Fitted VAG parts HID kit but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitted VAG parts HID kit but...

...now when I switch to full beam, the dipped beam goes off.

I've wired them in as per the instructions on the VAG 'site. Any ideas?
    acidtrax

Could be a bad earth or loose conection?? Do both lights go off or just one?

Cheers,

Chris
    Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Both dipped beam go off when I switch to full beam, but the full beam lamps are ok.
      acidtrax

Comment

Dodgy earth I'd say. I had no problems when I installed mine with wiring (and no complaints from the Autocheck system either!) - did have a major issue with the lamp covers though, drilling big enough holes in the back of those was a real PITA!
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Drilled mine at work with a pillar drill and a hole saw, piece of cake.

Have checked one earth, will double check the other, although I'd figure if there was an earth fault then the bulbs wouldn't light up at all?
          acidtrax

Comment

Now I've tried them in the dark, I don't think the dipped beam have ever stayed on with the full beam on.
            acidtrax

Comment

Originally posted by Bibby
              Now I've tried them in the dark, I don't think the dipped beam have ever stayed on with the full beam on.
              AFAIK you only get main and dipped together when you pull the stalk to flash the headlights?

It's like that on my Passat, and I assume it's the same on my Audi...
              Nothing feels fast for long...
              sigpic

2000 Audi RS4 - Kingfisher Blue ~+~ 2004 Audi Allroad 2.5 Tdi - Ebony Black Pearl

Comment

That's right, I do get main and dipped when I flash the lamps. I assumed that you got main and dipped when on high beam though.

Can anyone with a standard setup (ellipsoids) confirm or deny this?
                acidtrax

Comment

That's right, I do get main and dipped when I flash the lamps. I assumed that you got main and dipped when on high beam though.

Can anyone with a standard setup (ellipsoids) confirm or deny this?
                  Not really
                  But i've just phoned my bro,,,and he's gone to do it,,,be five mins mate
                  Last edited by Jas11n; 12 February 2005, 20:37.
                  2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                  2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                  1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Originally posted by Fourrings
                    Not really
                    But i've just phoned my bro,,,and he's gone to do it,,,me five mins mate
                    That's what I call service! Cheers m8.
                    acidtrax

Comment

That's what I call service! Cheers m8.
                      Both H1's light up on full beam..
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Cheers for that Jay. Will ask Martyn if he's come across this before.
                        acidtrax

Comment

yes on main beam you should have all lamps illuminated - HIDs and H1s.
                          Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

This is a new one on me! not had this one yet!!

Ok, I think the first thing I would do is to unplug the HID bulbs and put the halogens back in. Then do the test again, what happened?

Also as a side note, what year is your S2 Karlos?

Let me know what happens, and drop me a PM too please as I'm away now for four days, so I'll only have time to pick up PM's

My honest opinion up front? Our cars don't have headlamp relays, so either the headlamp switch (stalk) contacts have worn out / dirty / just plain had it, or, the car turned off its low beam and had high beam only BEFORE you fitted the HID's.

You really must unplug the HID bulbs and put the H1's back, then see what happens. I bet you say exactly the same thing, low beam off.... which means headlamps stalk contacts have worn out. I'm guessing of course!! but it's the most logical suggestion.

Let me know...
                            Martyn
                            Martyn
                            -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Cheers Martyn, will let you know what I discover. To be honest, driving at night with full beam on looks no different now than it did when I had the halogens in, so you could well be right. No other connections have been touched, so would make sense.

Will check nonetheless.
                              acidtrax

Comment

Working...
                              X