Fuel mpg on trip computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel mpg on trip computer

Anyone know if the computer can be calibrated for mpg ?

My S2 used to show mid to high 20's average but the speedo backing peeled so I changed the cluster. The new cluster only shows an average of about 14 round town and 22/23 on a run. I average 20-22 normaly and have averaged 30 mpg on a steady run by filling the tank so I know it is way out.

The fuel gauge never used to read full even when full to the neck but adjusted that today - no diference to mpg reading though so I assume the fuel consumption is metered elsewhere.
    Editor AOC www.audiclub.co.uk
    Editor Audifans www.audifans.net
    AOC Member of the Year 2003-2004
    (1994 80 Saloon - Titan Grey\V6 bumper\S2 Avant bumper\80 Competition Alloys - Nice but it certainly isn't an S2 )

Originally posted by cq20v
    Anyone know if the computer can be calibrated for mpg ?

My S2 used to show mid to high 20's average but the speedo backing peeled so I changed the cluster. The new cluster only shows an average of about 14 round town and 22/23 on a run. I average 20-22 normaly and have averaged 30 mpg on a steady run by filling the tank so I know it is way out.

The fuel gauge never used to read full even when full to the neck but adjusted that today - no diference to mpg reading though so I assume the fuel consumption is metered elsewhere.
    I don't understand why the change has happened. There is a way to calibrate the reserve level in the tank. Go to s2central.net for the details on how to do this. There is a switch on the back of the speedo which needs to be in the correct position to work correctly.
    HTH

David

PS the registration S2 is on Bentley coupe which lives near me....

Comment

The reg 'S1' is on a BMW 318i touring near me. What a waste !
      Alastair
      RS2

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
        There is a way to calibrate the reserve level in the tank. Go to s2central.net for the details on how to do this. There is a switch on the back of the speedo which needs to be in the correct position to work correctly.
        HTH

David
        Can anyone please post the link as i've had a look and can't find it
        S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Is this the screw thats behind one of the black knobs on the clocks that adjusts the level of the gauge up and down?
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

That knob is supposed to adjust the fuel computer range aswell as the gauge but invariably doesn't so you have to adjust this seperately as stated on the S2Central link.

It's under Technical/Electrical Systems/Instrument Cluster/Related Info/Fuel Gauge Calibration.
            Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Owen,

That cluster always did that when it was in my old car. Typically the average tank would be 19.6mpg. I did see 24.1 and 380 miles from one tank once but that was all motorway driving.

never had a problem getting the needle all the way to the top though. It's possible the gauge calibration was knocked out when it was removed.
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Mike - must just be the computer. I did get 24mpg on the run to Tatton park but calculated 30mpg. Currently showubg 15mpg on town runs but think it is 20-22
                Editor AOC www.audiclub.co.uk
                Editor Audifans www.audifans.net
                AOC Member of the Year 2003-2004
                (1994 80 Saloon - Titan Grey\V6 bumper\S2 Avant bumper\80 Competition Alloys - Nice but it certainly isn't an S2 )

Comment

I've just run 2 whole tanks of 100% town driving - the trip computer was re-set as I had a flat battery at the same time, and my average MPG for that period was a miserable 16.1mpg. The S2 is not an economical proposition in urban situations!

On a mixed- cycle, I get (from the trip meter) an average of 22.9MPG.

On a recent whole-motorway run, taking it easy (ie. not going over 70mph) I managed to squeeze 29mpg out of the beast, but frankly that was boring!
                  Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

On a standard turbo to get a decent MPG figure on the motorway i think its best to cruise at around 60mph, as it stops the turbo from boosting and therefore use less fuel.... as you say tho Dan, its so boring!
                    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Yes, it's not as if you've got an S2 to drive it at 60 is it?! Of course I would never sanction ever breaking the speed limit, for that would be illegal, and I've never been stopped by unmarked cops.....

The RS2 turbo comes on boost later doesn't it - ie. you in theory could get better fuel economy at that sort of m-way cruising speed?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                        The RS2 turbo comes on boost later doesn't it - ie. you in theory could get better fuel economy at that sort of m-way cruising speed?
                        Yeah but not once its been remapped
                        I do 40 motorway miles a day for work and average about 22mpg

But when you get all these prats in their M3's who think they own the road and muppet impreza drivers attempting to burn you off, all fuel consumption concerns go straight out the bleedin' window lol.

Comment

This is on S2 Central, I saw it the other day its the series of dip switches that you flick into different combo's to achieve the % margin you want.

Really good to see you online Owen
                          Take care,
                          Martyn
                          Martyn
                          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                            Yes, it's not as if you've got an S2 to drive it at 60 is it?! Of course I would never sanction ever breaking the speed limit, for that would be illegal, and I've never been stopped by unmarked cops.....

That is defo theory only. Official figures did make the RS2 mpg better than S2 at constant 56mph or whatever. In practice they eat fuel at a greater rate when you wake the turbo. Which of course you have to do all the time
                            Alastair
                            RS2

Comment

Drive it like you stole it baby - wake the turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X