Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Starter Interlock Relay PN changes and the 369 Autobox starter interlock relay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Starter Interlock Relay PN changes and the 369 Autobox starter interlock relay.

I have written about the starter interlock relay before but was confused about the manual vs autobox interlock relays. I *think* I finally got it figured today.

Recently, I was trying to help Hunker7 with his "new" grey UrS4 avant . It had a number of issues including an aftermarket immobilizer. Hunker7 eventually got it started (today) by jumping the starter interlock relay. Congrats to Hunker7 (Janis)

Normally the relay on an UrS manual is a single height "204" four pin relay, Position 4, 3rd from right:

For fun, I pulled my 204 to get the PN off it and to test the jumper "trick" for myself (and to eliminate the 204 from an on-going hot restart problem)

Made on Sept 19, 1992, just before my 93 UrS4s Oct. 92 build date:

204 removed and jumpered across Pins 17 and 19 (works) (using a jumper I made in 1983 to deal with a fuel pump relay issue with my Mk1 Jetta) (never throw anything good or useful away)

During the process of helping Hunker7, I had to review my previous central relay panel and starter interlock relay posts. In doing so, I found this photo that I had got from Popdemonic in Thailand when he was running the Autobox:

Where our manual transmission UrS4s/S6s would have a "204" Pop had a taller (double height) "369" relay. Hmmm...is this the clue?

Then I asked my friend Kate about the PN 431951253H "204" relay. Initially she said "Huh? No such animal". When pushed harder, she revealed that the PN 431951253H "204" relay had been superceded to a 141951253B "53" relay on Sept 30, 1997, i.e. after the last UrS6s were built. When asked about the 141951253B "53" relay, she revealed that it had been superceded to an 8D0951253A "373" relay. This succession is shown in the diagram below.

Then I noticed the listing for the automatic relay, i.e. 4A0951253 double (height) relay for position No. 4 for the automatic transmission cars. "DING!". A search on 4A0951253 revealed that it is a "369", just as shown in Pop's relay panel.

So, I conclude that, for the autobox cars, there are two feeds to the starter interlock "369" relay: one from the central locking pump (i.e. won't start if the alarm has gone off, etc) and one from the transmission shifter system (i.e. needs to be in neutral or park to fire the relay). Finally I have it figured (I think?) Could it be?

Attached Files
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

On manual C4 cars i have seen that instead of the relay there is a factory jumper installed. Looks like "7".

Comment

Originally posted by Zoig View Post
      On manual C4 cars i have seen that instead of the relay there is a factory jumper installed. Looks like "7".
      I know of the factory jumper. See below. I included it in my post on the J219 starter interlock relay (which now has to be revised to include yesterday's "discoveries").

The thing is my 93 UrS4 is a manual transmission car with central locking with alarm. I don't have the "7" factory jumper. I have a "204" J219 relay. I wonder if the ones you have seen with the factory jumper don't have a factory alarm system. Second part of the wondering would be what relay would an autobox UrS get if it didn't have the factory alarm system but still needed the shift interlock relay.

J219 Shift Interlock Relay (needs revisions - probably done later today):
      http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/270532.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
      X