Metal Covered Fuses ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Covered Fuses ?

What the reason that Audi used the metal covered fuses in some applications in our S cars, rather than normal plastic fuses ?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Thermal Fuse info

Originally posted by macspring View Post
    What the reason that Audi used the metal covered fuses in some applications in our S cars, rather than normal plastic fuses ? Just curious. Thanks.
    Those are not just go/no go fuses. They are thermal fuses and are capable of flowing more than their rated current for a short period of time to allow for initial current in rush/transcient voltage/current spikes. Inside there is a bi-metal spring that heats up as it passes current. If the current is too high for too long, the heat bends the bi-metal spring away from the contacts and the circuit goes open until the spring cools off. Then the current flows again. If the flow is lower than it was, then things carry on fine. If the current is too high for too long again, then the circuit opens again. In short, it is a forgiving/multi-event reusable fuse not an absolute go/no go fuse.

The bad part is they can age and either fail closed or fail open, with bad consequences either way.

Visit this website for more UrS thermal fuse info: https://plus.google.com/photos/+Jame...209?banner=pwa

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

13 minutes before your reply, on a Friday, pretty good.

Are they all the one part number ?

Are there a few with different ampage ratings ?

Last edited by macspring; 5 June 2015, 19:22.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
        Are there a few with different ampage ratings ?
        All of them 12 Amp, 15 Amp, 20 Amp and 30 Amp can be replaced by regular spade connectors if need be.

Red 12 Amp

Green 30 Amp/Yellow 20 Amp

Blue 15 Amp

Comment

I tracked these as a fail on my urs4 a few years back.
          Dumped me on a busy dual carriageway on wrong side of a bridge, in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by bluequattro View Post
            I tracked these as a fail on my urs4 a few years back.
            Dumped me on a busy dual carriageway on wrong side of a bridge, in the dark.
            Some UrS4 folks have just replaced their above ECU thermal fuses with spade fuses just like the factory did with the UrS6.

Comment

I did that. Never let me down after that

Comment

Thanks Dave for the additional information, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X