Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear right light problem on an RS2

Hello
    I have recently found that the rear right light on my RS2 has stoped functioning.
    After replacing the bulb the problem was still there.
    By cheking the voltage across the terminals of the bulb holder I found that to be 1.5 V instead of 12 V. ( This was done with the light switch ON ofcourse !)
    I have also checked the fuses and found all of them to be OK.
    I have changed the bulb holder but the problem is still there.
    It looks like there is a short circuit somewhere resulting in voltage leaking .
    In order to trace the problem I need the wiring diagram for the lights.
    Please can anyone help? Does anyone has any leads?
    P.S I think that the wiring diagram for the lighting is the same or very similar to that used on AUDI 80 S2 ,avant ,sedan .
    Waiting for your input
    Regards

Have a look at s2central under, technical, electrical systems, Wiring & Schematics, rs2 adu

hth
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by rotoryboy
      Have a look at s2central under, technical, electrical systems, Wiring & Schematics, rs2 adu

hth
      Hello Mark
      Thank you for your input.
      I have looked to the above location and more specific to sheets No 15 & 16.The question now is to find the location of the "J124 rear bulb monitoring unit" .
      Do you have any idea of the its location?
      Regards
      MATI

Comment

HELLOOOO!
        Is there anybody there?
        MATI is asking for your HELP!! I can not follow the diagrams mensioned by Mark.
        Regards
        MATI

Comment

The most common fault is broken wiring where the tailgate joins the body.
          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2
            The most common fault is broken wiring where the tailgate joins the body.
            I measure 1.5 volts between the lamp holder and ground . Therefore it looks like there is a short circuit along the line. The question is does any one know the path of the wiring ? and more specific the point were it terminates?
            Is it underneath the steering wheel ?
            I did follow the cables from the rear lamp holder till underneath the carpet at the central tunnel next to the handbrake .After that I need to take big items out to follow yhe wiring which i try to avoid.
            Regards

Comment

Do you still get 1.5v there? As Mike said its normally where the tailgate hinges that the wires break inside the black rubber flexi...
              Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Hello to all
                The problem was solved up to now (!) by taking an extra wire and connecting the terminal from the rear left light and feeding to the right rear light. I know that this is sound strange but at least it works i.e I get no bulb fault warning indication on the dushboard and also the rear light works when the lights are switched on.

Does any one has experienced any similar case ? What is your opinion?
                Please reply
                Regards
                MATI

Comment

Sounds like a broken wire from where the tailgate hinges to me.....

Comment

chris the light wiring on mine dont run that route! between the rear quater then down the sills
                    94 s2 avant
                    aoc member 1116

Comment

His is an avant and i'm sure they run through the boot lid

Comment

Hello to all
                        You are correct it is an RS2 Avant but the wiring does not pass through the bot lid.
                        The wiring follows the route I have described on my earliest thread.
                        I am sure because I have traced it myself and the car is an original RS2.
                        Does anyone has a wiring drawing which shows theconnections for the rear lighting!!!!
                        Regards
                        MATI

Comment

Working...
                        X