No announcement yet.

Trip computer - calibrating tank size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's in the cluster. The display is integrated to the computer board.

There is one wire from the ecu to the computer. Check s2central ecu pinout to find out what it is at the ecu end. You could measure it with a DMM.
    -

Comment

The ECU sends a raw signal on 'fuel used' to the trip computer signifying the duty cycle that is driving the injectors. The trip computer is programmed to turn that into a figure for MPG (or l/km) based on how it is calibrated.

The firmware in the trip computer on a 7A engine is different to a 3B or ABY or an RS2. Reason being the different sized injectors (and FPRs) on these cars means that different fuel is used at the same duty cycle.

Simply put, if you remap the ECU to run with stock injectors (assuming the stock trip computer is retained) then the MPG info will be OK.

If you use different injectors than what the Trip computer is calibrated for then the mileage info will be wrong.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Agreed with Paul but not totally... The ECU contains the injector size information, and it can be rescaled up to 388cc/min, but not above it... so Tom, Doug and Mark's dashes will display wrong MPG information... plus I have never found the injector sizing in the 3B ECU... gotta do some more disassembling dammit...

Mihnea
        '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
        info@MRCTuning.com
        Workshop Directions

Comment

mine tells mi i have a range of 900miles and ave.mpg.120 @100mph

if only
          Nautic Blue UR-Quattro RS2spec ABY20v kkk26/27 hybrid,Bremsport Brake Kit n some other Gubbins.water injection. Mihnea tuned Management The old Bus
          0-60 4.9
          1/4mile 13.5

Comment

If you are running an RS2 setup (injectors and fuel pressure) then get an RS2 trip computer right?? Thats how i have understood it.
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
              If you are running an RS2 setup (injectors and fuel pressure) then get an RS2 trip computer right?? Thats how i have understood it.
              That sounds good as I have a RS2 set-up. Are RS2 Trip Computers availible? Hate to hear what one of those costs.

BUT it also seems that Minhea is saying that my computer will work with the RS2 stuf b/c the fuel info is in the ECU and not the TC. It would probably be worth trying to fix it....Is there a pinout diagram for the TC?
              1990 RS2 Coupe

"If you have complete control of the damn thing, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea
                Agreed with Paul but not totally... The ECU contains the injector size information, and it can be rescaled up to 388cc/min, but not above it... so Tom, Doug and Mark's dashes will display wrong MPG information... plus I have never found the injector sizing in the 3B ECU... gotta do some more disassembling dammit...

Mihnea

Ooooh now there's a new trick... didn't know that one !

If I understand this correctly then it means that an RS2 upgrade on an S2 can be done with accurate mpg info using the stock S2 trip computer. Not exactly cause for a big party but hey..... its good info !
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                  Ooooh now there's a new trick... didn't know that one !

If I understand this correctly then it means that an RS2 upgrade on an S2 can be done with accurate mpg info using the stock S2 trip computer. Not exactly cause for a big party but hey..... its good info !
                  And if that is true, If I can find out why my TC is not getting the fuel info, I can get MPg info as well assuming Minhea rescaled my injector size information.

Question remains, how do I figure which wire in the TC is the fuel info input? I found the fuel info output wire on S2 Central...thanks paul!!! Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the trip computer?
                  1990 RS2 Coupe

"If you have complete control of the damn thing, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

Working...
                  X