Starter Motor Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Motor Problem

Starter Motor Problems! Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Went for a short journey in the car, when i came to turn the car off it kept turning over with no response to accelerator! Had to stall it. Then smoke came from the bonnet, the wires that run to the starter moter had become so hot they had melt the the rubber and plastic insulation. The starter motor no longer operates.

guess the solenoid for starter motor had got stuck on the flywheel maybe? or malfunctioning relay?
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Could be the igniton switch, the elecy part of the igntion key. When mine went it shorted out the 12v feed for the car and fried the wiring loom & alarm. Even when i pulled the key out the igntion stayed on and smoke started coming out of the dashboard. Quite scary in a supermarket car park. I think i hold the world record for getting a 10mm spanner out of the boot and disconnecting the battery I now carry a fire extinguisher in the boot... Just in case.

When you say "when i came to turn the car off it kept turning over with no response to accelerator! Had to stall it" do you mean you turned the key off and the car kept running? I'm wondering if a fried igntion switch was keeping power to the starter while you were driving.
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Sorry for late reply have been away! I think you could be right ive got the starter motor off and its dead! i just hope that the ignition switch isn't fried !
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X