Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting my boost gauge

Hi all,

got my new EGT/Boost gauge through today. Got two problems though.

Firstly is mounting the gauge into the air vent. I knwo a few other ppl on here have fitted gauges there and wondered how they had mounted them?

Was thinking about using a small piece of 3mm ally plate across the front with countersunk screw connecting through to the back with a plate across back to hold in place.

also with the thermocouple i was thinking of mounting it onto the exhaust manifold pre turbo, will it be alright to fit it on the manifold and have the thermocoupel coiled in the flow of the exhaust or will i be better off fitting it onto the downpipe?

ta

Greg
    Attached Files
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

gauge and vent
    Attached Files
    Greg

Comment

K type thermocouple
      Attached Files
      Greg

Comment

Nice gauge, Greg.
        Never seen one having Boost+EGT "in-one", before.

If you have the chance, better position for the EGT probe is "BEFORE" turbine (more accurate reading). But then you have to take turbo and manifold off the engine and drill a hole on the collector.
        Than you can weld a nut over the hole just the same thread size as the probe's one.
        To have an accurate reading probe must stick at least 1 inch in the flow.

Otherwise, putting the probe after the turbo, you can use the already existing hole and thread on the turbo to downpipe flange.

Marco

Comment

cheers for the advice marco.

Ive spent the last couple of months getting all the bits i need so i will have alot of the car apart while im doing this since i have new turbo, manifold, IC, oil catch tank etc etc to fit.

Will find a suitable area on the RS2 manifold where i can weld a nut onto for the EGT probe to fit onto.

With the boost probe i dont think i will need to put a nut or anything to tighten into, instead will drill and tap the IM and fit near to where the take off for the ECU is.

Greg
          Greg

Comment

Nice gauge Greg,

agree with Marco, before the turbine is best position for the thermocouple.

Mark.
            Mark - Modded

Comment

Greg,
              I see your boost gauge is an electronical unit using a remote probe, but what about putting a T joint on the presure line next to the ECU and keep probe and all the wiring stuff inside the car?
              Just an option, of course, and you'll read exactly what the ECU does.

Marco

Comment

yeah i did wonder about doing that too, havent decided which will be the best way to go yet.

Keeping the sensor in the car keeps it away from the elements too which is also a definite advantage.

Just a matter of making a T piece for it to connect to.
                Greg

Comment

I tapped into my presure line near the ecu. This is where i connect my industrial monster dial guage for checking boost. The fitting i used was from swagelok. They do an excellent range of inexpensive, no-tools-required plastic fittings which are good for over 10 bar. They do matching pipes too. Can't remember the fitting type but have all the details in work. I teed in a long length of silicone tube. For my application, I plug this when not in use and shove it under the passenger carpet. Been on there for over 18 months without a glitch.
                  1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                  Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Greg - where'd you get that EGT/Boost combo guage ?

How much ?

I'm thinking of installing something like that in the space where the ash-tray is if I get the time over the winter...

Paul
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

worked out at £270 including the postage i think.

got it from SPA Design

where did you get that swage lock thing?

ta

Greg
                      Greg

Comment

Greg,

If you need proper plastic compression tees let me know. I can get hold of them quite easily as I know the South east Swaglock rep pretty well.

I can also make a dial adaptor if you like. I was planning an in-dash PC a while ago and investigated getting parts made in stereo lithography, shot blasted and then painted. It would match the finish and colour of the interior trim perferctly. Stereo lith is costed on time so minimise material and it will not be expensive. Compound shapes possible and good dimensional accuracy. Not sure how much it would be...let me find out.

HTH

Lee
                        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

stereo lithography is cool - it's almost magic
                          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

@lee,

not trying to sound stupid but whats stereo lithography?

Mount of the gauge sounds excellent. any idea on cost? been trying to think of best way to make one from the standard vent.

Was going to file the fin's down and use a piece of aluminium across the front with screws in to connect to a holding on the back of the vent.

will take alook through the swagelok site again. Feelin a bit worse for wear at min so not sure if will be able to find right stuff or not.
                            Greg

Comment

Greg

Lee might be able to explain it better but it is a technique that allows protoypes to be bulit without having to pay out for tooling. The end result is a polymer copmponent so if it a plastic peice you want to make you can use the prototype.

Automotive manufacturers use it to make models of exhaust manifolds and other complex engine peices so that they can see the end result before they actually make the tools etc.

Look here: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~en0dpj/Stereolithography.htm

The only thing I would say is be sure that the material used is UV stable once cured. The stuff I saw a few years ago caried on curing over time and became very brittle. Maybe painiting it would get over this problem?
                              Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Working...
                              X