2084 tool required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2084 tool required

hi anyone outthere that could lend me this tool to lock the crank, or know a way of locking it or where i can get the tool from i am in birmingham uk

Go to your local Audi dealership and quote the 2084 number at the parts desk. You will be able to buy your own for about £30
    Corey
    01636 822288

Comment

you dont need a locking tool just line the marks up and away you go
      94 s2 avant
      aoc member 1116

Comment

Originally posted by pastures16
        you dont need a locking tool just line the marks up and away you go
        No - you *DO* need the crank locking tool in order to remove and fit the big bolt in the crankshaft pulley. Occasionally you will see the off 2084 on eBay - note its NOT suitable for ABY, AAN or ADU engines though - they need the 3256 locking tool.

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

note this is the way i do it
          time it up undo the bolt with a 1inch drive air gun (which i use to undo lorry wheel nuts) done this many times before remove the bottom pulley put the bolt back in and time up again then remove your belt etc etc etc done it many times and the locking tools dont hold the crank properly
          94 s2 avant
          aoc member 1116

Comment

Locking tools do work properly, how do you plan on torquing up that bolt without holding it still, cos i use air tools a lot but would by no means be happy with just gunning it up and leaving it at that!

Dealerships arent allowed to sell these tools over the counter, you can try and ask tho, you never know.

3256 also wont fit cars with aircon. BTDT.
            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by pastures16
              note this is the way i do it
              time it up undo the bolt with a 1inch drive air gun (which i use to undo lorry wheel nuts) done this many times before remove the bottom pulley put the bolt back in and time up again then remove your belt etc etc etc done it many times and the locking tools dont hold the crank properly
              I'm aware of the impact air-gun trick, but such a high torque device isn't available to most people. I prefer to treat critical bolts with a little more respect. How do you lock the crank when tightening the bolt - I'm assuming you torque it properly and just don't whazz that airgun onto it ?

2084 doesn't lock the AAN, ABY & ADU cranks properly - 3256 is required.
              2084 locks the 10V, RR and 3B cranks pretty well in my experience...

Paul
              Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                Locking tools do work properly, how do you plan on torquing up that bolt without holding it still, cos i use air tools a lot but would by no means be happy with just gunning it up and leaving it at that!

Dealerships arent allowed to sell these tools over the counter, you can try and ask tho, you never know.

3256 also wont fit cars with aircon. BTDT.
                Spooky bit of parallel thinking there Ant...

Isn't the clearance issue with the 3256 on aircon cars easily worked around by moving the compressor out of the way - no need to disconnect aircon pipes IIRC !!!!!

Paul
                Paul Nugent

Comment

No, because the problem is that even with the compressor out of the way (as i done this) it doesnt reach properly to bolt in to place because its a pulley too far away. it will go in to the crank pulley ok, but it bolts in to the hole that the compressor is fitted to and that isnt long enough.... you could extend the bolt, but its designed so that that arm also rests against the block, i wouldnt trust just the bolt to those torques, as once its bent i wouldnt fancy getting it undone again!
                  Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                  2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

My front pulley has been significantly lightened and now does not have the correct centre for the tool to lock on to, how would you hold it?

Darren.

Comment

A few years ago, my mate did the wheel bearings on his Ren 19 16v with an air gun, a week later he bought a complete set of cv joints as this had stripped the threads on them all. I know its not the same, but they are not a calibrated tool, they are the socket equivalent of the "daisy cutter" bomb. When used instead of a torque wrench they are dangerous.
                      Be careful with them.
                      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
                      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

I do not like the 3256 as you have to lock the engine 180 deg out undue the bolt then line the marks up.
                        I cannot believe that this is the documented procedure from Audi also for the 3256!!!
                        You can use the 2084 on the AAN engine but you need to have the front support bracket from a 90 to use the 2084.
                        I have modified my 3256 so I can lock the engine in the correct place.
                        Corey
                        01636 822288

Comment

Please explain

I have an ABY (AC version) and the 3256 tool in my garage, was trying to work out a solution instead of a very long bolt. I agree with Ant i can see the bolt just bending if i try to torque it up that high. I noticed it does rest against the idler pulley but i doubt that would take the load. Any wisdom greatly appreciated..

Also can anybody tell me how to undo the nut with the engine out of the car? I have it mounted on an engine stand but i'm starting to think i might have to strap that to the wall to stop it falling over

Originally posted by Corey
                          I have modified my 3256 so I can lock the engine in the correct place.
                          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

2084 tool

i have accsess to a 3/4 air gun that should tighten the bolt up quite good enogh dont you think also with some lock thread?

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar
                              Also can anybody tell me how to undo the nut with the engine out of the car? I have it mounted on an engine stand but i'm starting to think i might have to strap that to the wall to stop it falling over
                              BTDT a couple of months ago before i left the country, i made my own locking tool, it should fit all the engine variants, with or without air-con, definately fits RR/3B/and ABY with a/c. I dont have any pics but basically its a 3ft long 1/2 inch thick steel plate with a round boss welded on the end with a deep cutout to locate in the pulley.
                              I had the end sat on some old wheels (in the 9 o-clock position so to speak) so i could put the pressure down onto the wheels not through the stand, worked a treat.

Comment

Working...
                              X