Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's normal running temp in this weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's normal running temp in this weather?

Hi,

Generally the car hits 90 and the fan comes on to keep the temp down every so often when the car is stood; cruising or even driving hard it tends to be around 60-80 (water temp) which i figure is quite normal.

However.. last night, after 45 minutes of sitting in traffic, the cooling light came on - the temp had been 85-92 for most of that time. In mid-summer that would have come as no suprise, but would that be normal in these tepid winter months? After 5 mins of motorway cruising, the engine temps dropped off again and the light went out.

Just wondering if this is normal, or if it sounds like the coolant is a tad inefficient compared to what it should be? Should I change coolant?

Cheers!
    Ross

On another note, learned from experience: though the S2 is fast, it's not quite enough to take on the new M6
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

I think you are AT LEAST 200 brake down on that one. Well done for trying though, I would have! :mischeif:

Not sure about your running temps. Have you checked your coolant level? This would cause it to run hot and make the light come on....

Cheers,

Steve.
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

yeah 4.6 0-60 and just over 500 horses.
      Tim

1995 S2 Avant, ruby red - ** SOLD TO ROSS **
      Golf Rallye G60 ** SOLD **
      Golf MK2 Oaky with R32 engine
      Audi A6 Avant 1.9 TDi 130
      Golf MK2 8v Race car

Comment

your coolant levels could be down for the light to come up.Temperature is normal in traffic.Remember that when driving fast and cold air comes through the engine,it cools it so hard it cannot reach the 90degree which is the normal.Here in Greece where the temperatures are generally high,mine rests just above 90 most of the times(92)actually

lastly it always depends on what kind of thermostat you have used.Different thermostats for different temperatures will allow the radiator vent to work early or late,depending on the working temperature of the thermostat.Hence if you use a thermostat that opens up on 80 degrees then you wont see temps,above that. etc

Comment

Thanks, my mind is at ease on that one now... I'll check the coolant as soon as i get chance.... seems it's dark when i goto work, and then again when i get home right now. Roll on monday (my next day off!).

Regarding the M6, yeah I'm down on him about 215hp... only when he's got the magic button down though. At least i stayed close enough to hear that v10 rumbling away...

Just wait though, with all this talk of big turbo's on the board I'm getting worried. Suddenly the ~295 I'm pushing doesn't sound quite so much, and I worry I'm getting drawn into that 'I want more power' trap...

thanks again-
          Ross
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Hi Ross,
            Here in holland temps are the same and also have the same "problem" with heavy traffic. S2's just aren't meant to be in heavy traffic. Most times it reaches above 90 indeed. When you hit the gas when road's clear most time the s2 seems to be limited in power because of the high temps. At least for me. Any others with the same?

The M6 is a little bit to much for stock s2's. Maybe try it again when it raines :mischeif: watch out though

Last week i owned a chrysler crossfire and a m5

Comment

Working...
            X