No announcement yet.

This sound like a head gasket failing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This sound like a head gasket failing?

Hi,

Seems my car is drinking a reasonable amount of coolant at the moment, feels perfect on the road, isn't getting hot and seemingly just a small amount of whitish grey 'scale' in the coolant exp. tank. This scale has been around on and off for a fair while but they is no real evidence of an impending problem in the same way my old astra showed with gunk in the tank and gunk on the oil filler cap too! I'll get a pressure test done - what pressures should I expect? I am expecting if there is a problem it will be in the pot nearest the firewall as that always seems to be the weakest...

If it is a gasket failure in the making, while the head is off I was thinking of changing the gasket for a metal RS2 version, plus the valve guide oil seals as i know these are worn. Can anyone suggest anything else which should be changed. Also how long should I expect this to take? I am contemplating doing this myself - is this task best left to an expert or is this something an amatuer can do given time etc.....?

Cheers,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Its Tom, thats an easy enough job david. Get a garage to place the emissions tester in the air gap above the coolant in the expansion bottle, should have no CO or HC. If the headgasket is swallowing that much water then it will show up on the tester. Do that as it may not be the h/gasket
    seat ibiza cupra

Comment

Dave - If you are taking the head off, I would do the following -

1. New thermostat & seal
      2. New oil temp / pressure sender
      3. New timing belt
      4. That 'orrible little link hose in the water feed to turbo
      5. Check or delete the PCV hoses a la separator/catch tank
      6. Check/replace the valve guides and replace oil seals
      7. See if you can get a 7A exhaust cam !
      8. Fit a dissy with metal gear

As all of the above are really horrible time consuming tasks when done individually.

Cheers,

Paul

PS - Need to talk to you ASAP about that oil sender !!!!!!!!
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I have rcently done the head gasket on my 94 ABY as a matter of precaution before upping the boost! Only to fine a metal one was fitted! damm I replaced the cambelt also cos its so easy with the front of the car off but i also replaced the water pump and the idler pully on the cam belt tensioner. You will only need the idler pully (VAG Parts @ about £20 i think) you SHOULDN'T need the tensioner @ £40 cos its the same at the idler but with the cast ally adjusting braket on which doesnt wear out. My water pump was fine but seem that i had bought a new one i obviously fitted it. Water pumps are about £40 from the dealers with the seal inc.

Give your self plenty of time to do the job, cos the last thing you wanna do is rush it. You'll need a hand to remove and refit the head cost its pretty heavy and to ensure not damaging the head face. I left both manifolds on the head and removed the it as one big heavy lump!
        Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

I cant beleive Gillm's avatar!!! Thats my girlfriend and his wife to be getting it on in the pub pissed up!!!!! Sorry nothing to do with the post, be equally as important. Proper good i tell thee
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

cmf
            seat ibiza cupra

Comment

On top of what S2Central advised I would also replace the cam chain, it was about £15 for Beeties (3B) that was genuine Audi as well!!!
              A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Wish i did mine, its a bit noisy Knowing my luck it will break and destroy the cams and the valves and the whole head!!! Infact it will possibly, no probably do the pistons in at the same time!
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Never heard of a totally broken cam chain but it's good to replace it if your car has done over 200kkm. The chain delivers power to the inlet cam that drives the dizzy and loose chain might be bad for the ignition timing!

Glen talks about ABY timing belt tensioner and it's totally different in 3B as the idler is static and the actual tensioning is done by turning the water pump.

Hope you don't have to take the head off, but if you do, consider removing the radiator etc to make the job a bit easier. Good luck with the wire/hose mess behind the engine
                  -

Comment

Cheers guys - will keep you posted - am checking the coolant levels daily to see what happens.
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I had the same kind of issue back in the summer. Check your radiators very carefully ( esp if you have A/C, as the main one is masked). I had a small puncture at the base of the main rad - only noticeable when I found the tell tale coolant residue on v close examination ( head under the wheel arch. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X