Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No 2 Spark Plug not firing - Help Please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 2 Spark Plug not firing - Help Please!!!

Ok all you S2 Wizards - I'm in deep s**t without my car!!

Took the car for it's MOT on Friday. The car was sitting stationary for about 6-7 mins whilst they sorted out the emissions (they cound't get a reading - new filter) which it passed.

Car is stopped and I wait to get my MOT wrote out.

Go back to start the car and it is mis-firing slightly. By the time I get home it is clearly running on 4 pots only.

I assume it's one of the plugs (they've done 15-20k) so I order new ones from QC and as a precaution, I get a new Coil Pack also.

We try the plug by itself - no luck! We decide to go for the Coil Pack as well and when we took old one off, the insulation close to the coil pack is crusty and falling apart and it looks like it may have been shorting out.

We change the Coil Pack and it's still not working

What could be causing this? what else could the "potential" but probable short have damaged?

Is it damaging my engine when running on only 4 pots (I've only used it for a couple of short journey's out of neccesity)

Please Please try and help - I'm 114 miles from the nearest stealer
    95 S2 Avant Ming Blue - now gone and sorley missed:cry:
    2001 B5 RS4 Santorin Blue - MRC'd - now here:chit:
    88 Ur MB Quattro -Pearl White - The daddy!:cool:

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

Forgot to mention - Car is 95 ABY

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

Comment

you could try doing a search for the ignition amp, i had one of these go there will be some advise on how to see if it is one of these, there are 2 on the car hth
      skint but fast

Comment

Originally posted by shadquattro
        you could try doing a search for the ignition amp, i had one of these go there will be some advise on how to see if it is one of these, there are 2 on the car hth
        Sorry. i'm not sure what you mean Where are they located please?

Thanks

Comment

The ignition amps are located on the bulkhead by all the electrical connectors, try swapping the 4 connectors to the opposite amps and giving it a try and seeing if the misfire moves to a different cylinder. if so this would suggest an amp failure
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

@norrs2: my friend has the same problem with his ann engine. it ended up with new control unit power output stage (etka name, i dont know englisch name for that, part number 4a0-905-351A)....this is damm expencive.....and of course mybe greg_S has the same part in his mind
            Audi Coupe S2 1993
            Audi V8 4.2 1993
            Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

Yeah thats exactly the part im thinking of.

Take a read of this:

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...4_Ignition.htm

it talks about S4 but it is same system.
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                Yeah thats exactly the part im thinking of.

Take a read of this:

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/troubl...4_Ignition.htm

it talks about S4 but it is same system.

I was out on an Xmas night last night - Oh! my Head!

A very huge thanks to Shadquattro, valjo and of course Greg - you guys rally know your stuff.

I have contacted Quattro Corner and guess what, he has an Ingnition Amp in Stock and at a lot less than list price too!

I'm going to gamble an assume that you guys are correct. God knows what else it could be anyway and Pete Reeve says he's sold a few of these before for the same reason.

Anyway, I would never have known where to start so it's the Forum guys again who prove what a wonderful asset you are to all other less technical S2 owners

I'll let you know how I get on.

A very sincere thanks guys

Comment

Was going to say I have two spare amps in the garage if you are interested.

Don't forget to coat the back of the amp with some heat conductive paste - you can get it from Maplin Electronics - it provides a proper thermal path for the heat to escape the amp and get dissipated by the massive heatsink in the shape of your engine bulkhead.

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                    Was going to say I have two spare amps in the garage if you are interested.

Don't forget to coat the back of the amp with some heat conductive paste - you can get it from Maplin Electronics - it provides a proper thermal path for the heat to escape the amp and get dissipated by the massive heatsink in the shape of your engine bulkhead.

Paul

Thanks Paul

I'll send you a PM

Comment

I had an intermittant misfire today also.
                      When I checked everything over found that the spark plug (also no. 2) was quite loose
                      The plugs are Bosch F5 DPOR's, replaced about 2,000miles ago. Anyway I cleaned up small pool of oil that had collected in the well and then torqued up all the plugs to 27 Nm.
                      Glad I was so close to home when it happened, as I wouldn't have had required tools when out and about.
                      Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
                      Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by GlynRS2
                        I had an intermittant misfire today also.
                        When I checked everything over found that the spark plug (also no. 2) was quite loose
                        The plugs are Bosch F5 DPOR's, replaced about 2,000miles ago. Anyway I cleaned up small pool of oil that had collected in the well and then torqued up all the plugs to 27 Nm.
                        Glad I was so close to home when it happened, as I wouldn't have had required tools when out and about.
                        there must be somthing in your Great Britan athmospher...... all yours s2 have misfire on 2 zilinder
                        Audi Coupe S2 1993
                        Audi V8 4.2 1993
                        Audi cabrio 1998

Comment

Problem Solved

Thanks to the S2 Forum once again!

It was indeed the POS switch/Ignition Amp etc. Car now back to norman

Thanks guys - you've saved me a lod of dosh AGAIN

Comment

Another S2Forum saves the day-type happy ending, great news!
                            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
                            X