Lack of power on S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of power on S2

I am experiencing power problems with my S2. When I run the engine I sometimes get a strong smell of fuel and when I am driving the car, sometimes when I put the foot down the car seems to die (no power) then clears itself and power is there again. Can anyone help?

Is there any chance of a more detailed discription of behaviour?

When does it smell of fuel? Hot / cold tickover or driving?

@ what RPM does it lose power? again hot / cold? and how much throttle is applied when power loss occurs? 10% - 100%?

Can you avoid power loss by flooring the throttle more progressivley?

Does it lose power smoothly and regain power smoothly?

Any other things that you may notice can help to build a picture up! By the low of averages one of us has bound to experinee your problem at some time or another but identifying the symptoms is the key to finding the problem!

Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I had the car MOT'd in the summer and it failed due to high CO2 emissions. I had the car investigated and they found nothing wrong with it but they said there had been a fault at one point with the fuel bypass valve. I believe this may be sticking causing the problem. Anyway I took the car back and it passed the MOT no problem. There is no specific times when I get the smell of fuel, it just happens now and again as does the power losses. This is why I think it may be a sticky valve or something. It doesn't matter if I sink the foot down or progressivly accelerate it will take off as normal then suddenly loose power as if it is running out of fuel. It will then just take off again as normal. There is no specific time for this to happen, it just happens now and then. When the car is cold the red major warning light comes up on the computer but it goes away within seconds. I wondered if this had anything to do with it? The car seems to idle perfectly and it is only when power is applied that the power losses occur. The power losses occur at various rpm's. For example when I was driving it the other night the car lost power at about 3000rpm then regained it at 5000rpm, this is not always the case but I can't remember it happening below 3000rpm. The best way of describing the cars behaviour is to imagine when a car runs out of petrol, sudden power losses etc. Hope this gives you a better picture.

:confused: :confused:

Comment

I have/had the the same problem, and also the smell of fuel.

What i discovered is that my fuel lines where totally rotted. I simpley replaced some rotted peaces with some new fuel lines.

so maybe it is some sort of a fuel pressure problem, because the pressure comes from the pump in the tank, and if there is some rotted fuel line between the pump and engine it cannot gain pressure when needed.

hopefully this helps you a bit.

Cheers

Cees

Comment

Where in Scotland are you Chris?
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Am up here in sunny Aberdeen! Nice Audi mate, same colour as mine. Tell me, are they TT 18's that you have? If so could you let me know if they fit without problems?

Comment

18?

C'mon Doug, thell him what kind of wheels you got !

Comment

19s

but 18s fit no probs
                S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Is loss of power a fade or is it harsh? A fade would suggest a possible loss of fuel pressure (check pump/fuel tank breather? Is there a lot of pressure in tank?) A harsh cut would suggest electrical (hall sensor? rotor arm burnt/burning out?) Have you checked for any stored codes?
                  Just suggestions,hope you find it m8
                  A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Hi. I had the sam problem some days ago and it turned out to be the turbo pressure valve sticking. Some high temp lube spray did the job and its fine since then. It is located in front of the airfilter box and has a size of a matchbox.
                    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Remove your dump valve and check to see if its rubbed through on the metal front panel!!! I have reasons for suggesting this!
                      Martyn
                      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Hello Chris small world

My s2 did something similar. it turned out my turbo had come loose from the manifold so producing overboost and a fuel cut, it also gave a smell of fuel. Have u got a boost gauge in the car as ?? u may be over boosting and u r getting a fuel cut.

I am thinking and selling the EVO 5 and moving back to the Audi s2 estate. just incase u were wondering why i am on here.

Paul
                        S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
                          Remove your dump valve and check to see if its rubbed through on the metal front panel!!! I have reasons for suggesting this!
                          I know where your coming from on this one mate, when i changed my DV last it had scores down the side of it where it had been rubbing on something too.
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Working...
                          X