1.8t/S4 V6 transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8t/S4 V6 transplant

This has been up before but I haven't really gotten any real answers. Now, I'm thinking of a 1.8T or S4 v6 transplant. For the MOT I need the stock ECU to be running. Problem is the immo. On early cars, the signal from the key goes to a decoder that tells the engine ECU that it's ok to start the engine. Not sure if this is the immo but it has a similar effect at least. On later cars, the insturment has taken over the role of deciding if the engine should be started or not. Anywho - what signals are sent between the decoder end ECU? I know that its a sensitive issue, yes, but I really need to know. I could get a chip that has this feature taken away but I don't want to spend cash on a chp that I'll ditch after the MOT... Though it would be nice to de-louse it with stock performance first... Anyway - this decoder, can it be wired or what? Do I need stock key, lock and ECU from the same car? What do I do? Think cheap...

Originally posted by Henka
    This has been up before but I haven't really gotten any real answers. Now, I'm thinking of a 1.8T or S4 v6 transplant. For the MOT I need the stock ECU to be running. Problem is the immo. On early cars, the signal from the key goes to a decoder that tells the engine ECU that it's ok to start the engine. Not sure if this is the immo but it has a similar effect at least. On later cars, the insturment has taken over the role of deciding if the engine should be started or not. Anywho - what signals are sent between the decoder end ECU? I know that its a sensitive issue, yes, but I really need to know. I could get a chip that has this feature taken away but I don't want to spend cash on a chp that I'll ditch after the MOT... Though it would be nice to de-louse it with stock performance first... Anyway - this decoder, can it be wired or what? Do I need stock key, lock and ECU from the same car? What do I do? Think cheap...
    Things you may want to know about immo:
    1. Immo box and ECU are communicating using propietary protocol. It's not so simple like "hello, here is +12v, you can start engine now", but excange of shared keys, etc. Decision to start engine or not is made in ECU. Immo chip or box is usually only interface/transport.
    2. Yes, if you don't want to mess with codes and VAG com, you need key and ECU from the same car. If not - you will need to do some wizardry with VAG-COM to make your ECU "learn" the key. I mean information about keys is hold in to non volatile memory of ECU.
    3. If your engine is "clean", you can safely put key scan wiring, and key with the whole ignition lock somewhere under dash. Where you will never take it out, and nobody will see it .

I ended up with changing the chip. Factory immo's are 20 sec crack only for thieves and other scum, normal ppl feel real PITA when they run into problems with immo ...

Sau
    200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
    CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Did you indeed change the chip or did you mod the ECU? I've heard of both methods as a solution. Modding the ECU would allow you to change to any generic chip without the hassle of having to have it modded for the anti-anti-theft everytime. Wonder how the hardware is to be modded though? I did not push the man I asked to tell me as he makes his living dealing with these sort of mods - and no, he's not a thief.

Comment

@ Henka: What car are you looking at fitting a 1.8T into?
        Never show a fool a half built house.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
        The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

immo & chiptuning

Henka, I was doing it on urs6 ecu. In 1.8T/S4 2.8T case it can be slightly different ways. Please ask about generic chip tuning and immo in apropriate forums (I know you are subscribed to some ). Then you will have right answer to your case what to do next. I've just wrote about generic principle of immo in early VAG ecu's.

Sau
          200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
          CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Haven't decided between a 1.8T or 2.7bT. Haven't decided what car but I'm leaning towards an older Audi.

@Sau - yeah, you've probably seen my postings on other forums...

Comment

Working...
            X