Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What coolant?

What coolant does the S2 require?

The spec of it that is, not going to use the VAG stuff. Got morrisons but need to double check the type.

ta

Greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

I use the blue VAG stuff....hope it's the right one! The correct corrosion inhibitors that are the main thing. I just received a bottle of water wetter to see if it lives up to the hype! Changing the thermostat over Xmas so I'll put it in then. It appears that water wetter is glycol based just like the VAG stuff so I have probably just become a victim of marketing!!
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Hi,

Pink or blue is fine, the blue is the original and the pink the latest one which is fully compatible - forget the number though.

@Lee, I found it helped when i used it a while back hammering down through germany to the European GP. Does peg the temperature back a little bit. One thing to note is that it does seem to de-scale the system so dont be suprised to find a bit of gunk in the header tank. Might even help to fill the system with distilled water which doesn't have any lime or gunk in it.

Cheers,

David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

VAG Coolant used to come in two flavours.

G11 (Blue) older cast engines
        G12 (Pink) alloy engines

You could use either but couldn't mix them.

It now comes in just the one flavour.

G12+(Lilac) this can be used for everything and mixed with anything.

Ben
        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

oooops *stands corrected* Lilac

What would be the effect of mixing the other two (blue and pink out of interest)

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

oooops *stands corrected* Lilac

VAG made a big thing of the new lilac colour when they released it

If you mix blue and pink you get a lovely brown slush which is not supposed to do your cooling system any good.

When it was available, a lot of people switched from blue to pink because it looked better (I am one of the guilty parties ). There weren't any other benefits from it.

I'm running lilac now because I've had two new rads. I'll probably end up copying Martyn and fitting a brand new expansion tank just so it looks pretty too.

Ben
            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

hmm, think i need to go check what colour i am putting in, i know it still looks bluey/greeny but i was sure I was filling with a pink.

Brown is not what i want - though maybe explains a couple of things

....and i need to change my header tank too, i am an engine bay tart too

Cheers!!!

David
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X