Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vag Com

Folks

Thanks to the S2 Forum, I'm on the verge of saving hundreds again. I just need some final info to help me find my fault!

My S2 is not firing at all and since it's 114 miles to the nearest stealer I took the advise on here and I now hope to find the fault.

I was advised to go to ross-tech to download VAG COM which I did and get the cable from e-bay that interfaces between laptop and car (cost me £30 incl post).

The cable arrived today (amazing - Germany to Scotland in just 2 days). There is some paperwork which stated the following:-

"The interface works till VAG-Com 311.2". I already downloaded the wrong version from ross-tech so I went back into their archives and obtained the correct version.

My question now is - The cable comes with a 2x2 connection and an OBD II connection. I assume I use the 2 Black & White connectors, but where in the Fuse Box do I plug them in?

Also, the paperwork says "The VAG-Com Shareware shows the 1. fault with code and description. The other faults you can only see as a code". This is a bit confusing, will I be able to see a description with the fault code or not - especcially for the engine??

Many thanks in advance
    95 S2 Avant Ming Blue - now gone and sorley missed:cry:
    2001 B5 RS4 Santorin Blue - MRC'd - now here:chit:
    88 Ur MB Quattro -Pearl White - The daddy!:cool:

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

The connectors are under the bonnet and at the topleft corner (nr the driver) as you look at the car. Take the top cover off and you will see them. You will get a code format for the problems but if you put them in this thread someone will de-code it for you. HTH

Pic from you know where
    Last edited by rotoryboy; 12 January 2006, 19:18.
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Thanks Rotoryboy your a star

Classic S2 Avant billboard ad - "My other car's a Porsche, but today I'm in a hurry"

Comment

No decoding required - even if you can't get VAGCOM working - just use blink codes. The page below gives OFRM info on what OBD and Blink codes mean and their most likely causes.

http://S2central.net/aby_ecu_codes.html

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
          No decoding required - even if you can't get VAGCOM working - just use blink codes. The page below gives OFRM info on what OBD and Blink codes mean and their most likely causes.

http://S2central.net/aby_ecu_codes.html

Paul
          Paul

Don't know how to obtain Blink Codes and I'm not very goog with wiring one up if that's what I have to do.

However, I tried the VAG Com on my mate's 1992 UR S4 last night and it ran the full diagnostic no problem. I've just returned from the garage where the car is and VAG Com starts to run the process then stops. A message appears on the screen - "no response from Contoller" do you want to retry - YES/NO".

When you run the Auto Scan function it starts to go through the process, it stops after address 03 (ABS) and says no fault found. It then comes up with a message stating that it requires VAG Com to be registered.

It did not do any of this on the UR S4. I even change the ECU to a spare one without any change.

Have I got the correct version for the year/version of car, although I don't see haow that would be the case??

Comment

This must be a software issue. I've tried in back on the S4 and it's throwing up the same message there now!.

It's also saying that it can't get an Interface connection and it did the previous time.

I'm going to download again and try in on my S2 first this time

Maybe they've built in some kind of fail safe, as it thinks that more than one car is a commercial operation or something

Any more suggestions welcome

Comment

I had a similar problem with Vag-Com. First of all I got "Cannot access modules", then it changed to "Cannot Synch Baud Rate". Then after that all I got was "Port Status - Ok, Device Not Found". Complete waste of £200 IMHO. Get yourself a 12V LED, it'll cost you pennies, it is a lot easier, and more reliable.
              SS

Comment

I went thru pain with VAGCOM initially as there a number of conflicts with drivers on the PC. My old Dell laptop had a built in serial port but it wouldn't work with VAGCOM if I had any PCMCIA cards in the machine.

Make sure you have all the serial (COM) port settings right. There is pretty good info on the ross-tech site IIRC. There is a little test/utility option you can try to make sure the ISO adapter is alive. Can't remember details here...

PAul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                X