Valve Stem Oil Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Stem Oil Seals

Does anyone know if you can replace these without taking the head off?
    Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
    S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

yes you can change them with head on

Comment

Anyone got a how to or experience of doing it?
      Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

This any good.
        SS

Comment

Cheers matey, I knew I'd seen it somewhere
          Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

What are symptoms of worn/ old valve stem seals?
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Blue smoke on start up, may clear once on the move, may return after prolonged period of idling.

There have been many documented methods of valve stem replacement, including the method you're enquiring about - replacement with cylinder head in situ.

A short cut is often a wrong cut, with S car ownership, there are no short cuts or cutting corners that are good long term. Removing the cylinder head, at least you can replace the head gasket, check the valves (possibly lap them in after replacing the stem seals) and check the bores and rings for wear / clearance.

I would personally not use the cylinder head in situ method, on my car or anyone elses. It's not particularly easy, quite fiddly as well. I know someone who used this method (you know who you are) and while doing the last one, the valve dropped into the cylinder.

The head certainly had to come off then!
              Never show a fool a half built house.
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
              The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

The problem is I've only revently had the head off when I upgraded the turbo/manifold etc to check everything was OK. So I don't really want the extra expense of doing the same work again (and it's an everyday car not a toy) when I know its all OK.
                Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

I understand Mark. but if you didn't replace the stem seals then, then you certainly didn't check the valve guides for wear (normally checked with the collets and springs removed). If the guides are excessively worn, new valve stem seals will be worn in little time.

Comment

everything was fine then i put the head in the hot wash, which hardened the seals
                    Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

If you move the piston for the cylinder you are changing to the top then you will not lose a valve.
                      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

true, Doug. He made a mistake, turned the crank then that was that.

Comment

According to my Audi workshop manual, this can be done with or without head removal. If it's good enough for Audi then go for it!
                          '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin's S4
                            According to my Audi workshop manual, this can be done with or without head removal. If it's good enough for Audi then go for it!
                            Ah, but we all know what the Stealers can be like...

When I worked for a Stealership, most of the short cuts were charged to the customers as the long cut method! I guess Stealerships are there for max profit, not as enthusiasts, especially when it comes to working on older cars. :mischeif:

They'll never give the same labour of love attention as enthusiasts on here would, but it's a matter of personal choice. If my car was a smoker, even just on start up which would suggest valve stem seals, I would still remove the head to carry out the work.

Comment

agree with you delta i would only do it that way too . depending on the mileage the guides might need changing too .

Comment

Working...
                              X