Flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveH
    £40 sounds too good to be true. Are you sure they're not balancing it on the bread board
    Lol, true, the balancing of my crankshaft costed 5 or 6 times as much? Do they also make bobweights and stuff to really balance your crankshaft for 40quid ?

Cheers,

Cees

Comment

i duno!!!

i just rang them for a quote!!!

jeeees

they have a good reputation for quality work

Comment

Would it not be wise if you balance all the things like said together without the flywheel?

Then balance the flywheel separate and put them all together!

So, in a case that you must change the Flywheel (and clutch) you dont have to do it all over again! I am talking of course about an engine that revs max at 7500!
        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Im just wondering what to do here... Im getting a new flywheel thats been balanced,

do I need to remove my crank and send it and the fly wheel off for balancing?

would mean my car would be off the road for a long time just for a flywheel change..
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Another question.

Im changing the clutch and flywheel and the gearbox mounts.

while im there.. what else needs doing/looking at? someone mention master cylinders etc..
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

From bassetdownbalancing.co.uk

5 Cylinder Car Engine

5 cylinder engine assembly

Most 5 Cylinder Engines in road cars are considered group 2 engines and in most cases are externally balanced, therefore their crankshaft and other rotating and reciprocating parts need to be balanced in the correct manner to achieve a smooth vibration free engine at all times.

Below is a list of items we will need to be able to balance your engine components for you.
              Crankshaft
              Flywheel
              Front Pulley/Damper
              Conrods with Shells
              Pistons with Rings,Pins & Circlips
              Note: All parts must arrive clean and fit correctly before any work can be carried out.

Balancing/Lightening Options (Works Engine Conversion)
              It is worth noting that Audi 5 cylinder crankshafts can be converted to a neutral balance state (This type of conversion was done on the famous Audi Quattro works rally car engines) giving you the option to run a more standard and lighter flywheel. In the process the crankshaft is llightened by knife edging the crankshaft and removal of the external balance weights from the damper and flywheel, if a standard flywheel was to be reused.

With the above options completed this will free the engine to rev higher and produce more power, coupled with a perfectly balanced assembly giving an improvement in both efficiency and avoidable wear and tear. Total cost of this conversion would be £380 plus vat and includes all machining work and balancing work, a next day turn around could also be arranged if required (subject to booking)
              389hp tdi mk4 golf 4wd track car
              Project
              audi i5 4wd track car

Comment

That's not too bad for lightening and balancing the crank I think?

Comment

Is that in today's money or from way back?
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Its currently on the website so will call today and ask
                    Project
                    audi i5 4wd track car

Comment

Current price 450 plus vat for full works for max power

Very helpful on the phone

Best to use earlier cranks as some have ball bearings pressed in the crack and can be used but more time and money
                      Currently 4 weeks timescale
                      Project
                      audi i5 4wd track car

Comment

Working...
                      X