Dodgy Optimax???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy Optimax???

Heres one for you....For the last 2 weeks been getting that nasty 'limp home mode' type of engine cutout whenever trying to go above 1.2 bar, plus an occasional backfire and nice black cloud...nice
    presumed it was a boost leak..
    anyway, been using optimax for a while but on the way back from the meet on monday couldnt find a shell garage so last resort was bp, thought may as well put some of that ultimate stuff in.
    basically ever since then its been going like a rocket!
    flies round to 1.6 bar
    no more cutting out/hesitation, ive swapped back to optimax and is still fine.
    is this likely to be a dodgy batch of optimax??
    its the only explination i can think of

A few S2's over the weekend filled up at one garage in Hitchin and at one point we thought it might have been crap fuel - I'm sure my car ran better before I filled it up at that garage.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Yeah i was starting to wonder the same thing. It is possible to get dodgy batches of fuel however. Will give it a try another week when they should have some new fuel there and see what its liek then.

the BP ultimate is 98RON isnt it?

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

one of the workers at my local bp station said it was 97RON:confused:

Comment

defo 97 RON.....

Comment

filled up again from my lacal shell garage and is still running ok.
            how much is optimax/ultimate near you guys, optimax is 82.9 ultimate is 86.9 near me:eek2:

Comment

Thats whats stopped me trying the ultimate too, they charge so much for it!

As far as i can see its just super unleaded re named, and they've added a couple of pence per litre because its called something else.

im wondering whether its worth writing to shell to get an answer off them about the quality of fuel?

Greg
              Greg

Comment

78.9 for optimax in sunny Blackburn! and i call em robbers for that!
                Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Since a few of us had problems with the optimax at the wend i decided to email shell customer services so will see what they have to say.

BTW cheapest place i know for optimax is just off the M25 at st Albans. 77.9 at the moment.
                  Greg

Comment

Bp ultimate is nowhere near me
                    Optijuice is about 82.9 or 83.9p :eek2:
                    Also have esso 97 octane stuff and thats 86.9p!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Robbing *******s
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

:mad: :mad: :mad:
                      I take it all back!!
                      started running like a bag of ***** again this afternoon:confused:
                      so stuck some more ultimate in, see if it changes anything.

Comment

fuel

ive been using optimax for ages hought id try bp stuff what a pile of cac car running like a bag of ***** & 2p alitre more than optimax which is 78.6p in cardiff here we come BOLTON
                        ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                        THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Me too

I know how u feel Vonbeck. BP Ultimate is crap. I only use BP Ultimate
                          Desiel in my 1.9 Peugeot Partner Van. Better than normal diesel i think, less
                          smoke on WOT on motorways. abit more poke.
                          Here in Greenwich London, the quality of Shell optimax does tend to suffer from time to time. Now costs 80.9p. Gone up by 2p inthe last 3 months.
                          I wonder if conditions of station tank resevoirs and sediments in them have anything to do with it. THE OLD TEABAG AND CUP SENERIO
                          RS2 MTM

Comment

Interesting.....

I only use BP Utlimate, rather than Optimax for the very same reason....it runs 'badly' on Optimax or other fuel and great on Ultimate.....

Wierd cars....

Comment

Good ! Now I know Im not the only owner whose S2 does not like Optimax. It goes better on std unleaded with better mpg. Most owners will tell you different.........James

Comment

Working...
                              X