Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another unsuccessful leak finding session

Just been trying to find my leak again but no joy

This time I blocked of the Pressure pipe hose (before pressure pipe)
    The cam cover breather pipe
    The WGFV oulet on the ribbed hose

Had the MAF and airbox top off, and removed the headlight to get a good look at everything.

Using Graham's pressure tester I managed to get 9psi in it this time but it immediatley leaks out once you turn the compressor off. I just can't get enough air in fast enough with the little tyre compressor I have. Driving the car will get up to 1.4 to 1.5 bar but then immediately drops back to less than 1 bar by 3000 rpm.

I'm now thinking it's the turbo to intercooler hose. This is the only one I have trouble looking at properly and the rest seem fine - no obvious splits or escaping air when pressurised. It 'feels' very dry and rough as though it has aged quite badly.

Is this common for this hose to give problems?

Roll on the Samcos!
    Last edited by Dr H; 19 December 2003, 15:45.
    Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

My IC to Turbo hose split! A bit of rubber vulcanising glue and loads of insulation and gaffa tape has fixed the leak for now! Roll on the samcos!, not for me yet though but i want someones s/h OE hose!
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Leigh, do you know anyone with a garage compressor, who has a pressure reducer, i used the site air at work (corus), reduced it down to 25psi (THIS IS MAJORLY IMPOPRTANT!!!)and let it rip. You will get much more flow with these systems so the leak will not overcome the air supply. The problem with a tyre compressor is it is designed for high pressure low volume, i.e. the compressor is a small piston (and i mean small 10mmDia. Max) and the air it kicks out with 1 rev is only 1cc. So by the time your leak is just opening it will be loosing more than 1cc per rev so you cant get the pressure up.
      Graham
      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
      X