max boost limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• max boost limit?

what is the maximum boost that aby or adu engine can handle?
    cause i heard an owner is boosting 2.5 bar peak and 2.2 bar continous on his rs2. that doesnt sound realistic to me?
    what do you think?
    Quattro

sorry forgot to mention: all stock engine.
    factory pistons,connecting rods,street gas etc.(92 octane)
    Quattro

Comment

Sounds way to high to me..... look for the post on here about 2nd hand rods..... if he's running that much boost i should think his should look something like that by now! assuming they are still in one piece
      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

totally agree with you;
        what is the amximum you ve seen or heard?
        Quattro

Comment

Timucin, the maximum a stock RS2 engine with stock rods+turbo can handle is 2.2 Bar peak boost.

I have heard too from a guy in Greece about an RS2 running 2.5 Bar peak boost and 2.2 "continuous" boost but I just can't believe this ****, the guy didn't know anything about engines but was telling me and 2 other german tuners how we should tune RS2s to get to 500+ HP....

cheers,

Mihnea
          '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

hi Mihnea;
            long time no see

probably my friend read about that guy in Greece and telling me like he is doing.

there is a big-bet here man
            well see at the end of january...

i have some questions for you;
            -after new exhaust ,car was boosting 25-26 psi's on boost gauge for half an hour,then hose damaged and it got slower

-after new hose ,the car again was running like a dog with 25+ psi but the next morning again turned back to normal 20psi max

-cleaned maf,boost was 25+ for a short time and dropped to 20 again

normally boosts 20 but after some service for a short time it goes 25+ by somehow
            i know sounds stupid but it happens
            why -what can be the reason for that?
            thnx
            Quattro

Comment

What!! There is no way a stock RS2 engine can do that surely. The conrods would just come out of the engine! Either that or there is no torque in the engine just loads of unuseable power at the top of the rev band.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by timucin
                hi Mihnea;
                long time no see

probably my friend read about that guy in Greece and telling me like he is doing.

there is a big-bet here man
                well see at the end of january...

i have some questions for you;
                -after new exhaust ,car was boosting 25-26 psi's on boost gauge for half an hour,then hose damaged and it got slower

-after new hose ,the car again was running like a dog with 25+ psi but the next morning again turned back to normal 20psi max

-cleaned maf,boost was 25+ for a short time and dropped to 20 again

normally boosts 20 but after some service for a short time it goes 25+ by somehow
                i know sounds stupid but it happens
                why -what can be the reason for that?
                thnx
                MAF still too dirty?
                Dump valve?
                Injectors?
                Fuel pump?
                FPR?
                I am going through the same thing!
                1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                  What!! There is no way a stock RS2 engine can do that surely. The conrods would just come out of the engine! Either that or there is no torque in the engine just loads of unuseable power at the top of the rev band.

Tom, I've already seen RS2s tuned by an, ahem, expert tuner in France running 2.2 Bar peak (really a short peak that happens only when you put your foot down to the metal) then dropping off to 1.8 constant boost up to about 5.5k and 1.4 at redline. Nevermind the turbo, I've already plotted those figures on a compressor map and they're way off the scale, which means that the turbo can only hold for a limited amount of time, but if there's no knock, the rods should still be able to handle this.

Cheers,

Mihnea
                  '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                  info@MRCTuning.com
                  Workshop Directions

Comment

We ran 2,5bar of boost in overboost (@4000rpm) falling to 1,8-2bar to redline on Ricardo's car. He has a stock engine (RS2), but with a huge IC, new injectors (+1 auxiliar), huge garret turbo, SS tube manifold and running alcohol as fuel.

The problem was the MAF that was just sucked by the turbo.

Now he run 1,6bar from the beggining to the end with no problem at all (only 4 MAFs blowed) . 10.000Km and still running hard.

I'm not saying that every engine hold this boost, but in that case the engine supported it.
                    Silver Audi RS2

Comment

Originally posted by KramRS2
                      We ran 2,5bar of boost in overboost (@4000rpm) falling to 1,8-2bar to redline on Ricardo's car. He has a stock engine (RS2), but with a huge IC, new injectors (+1 auxiliar), huge garret turbo, SS tube manifold and running alcohol as fuel.

The problem was the MAF that was just sucked by the turbo.

Now he run 1,6bar from the beggining to the end with no problem at all (only 4 MAFs blowed) . 10.000Km and still running hard.

I'm not saying that every engine hold this boost, but in that case the engine supported it.

1.6 Bar at redline is definitely ok with a larger than RS2 turbo, but blown MAFs don't sound right for me at this HP level, they are a real problem only above 450 HP....

www.MRCTuning.com
                      info@MRCTuning.com
                      Workshop Directions

Comment

Oh well, if these 'experts' can do it, then fair play. I personnaly would do it on my turbo thats even bigger than that.

@Mihnea, my Dad congratulates you in your work. He drove the car this morning and was well impressed. Came to work with a massive grin!!
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                          Oh well, if these 'experts' can do it, then fair play. I personnaly would do it on my turbo thats even bigger than that.

Watch out for 1.8 bar constant boost through 5k, falling off to about 1.3 Bar at redline next time m8, your car will kick serious *** with that!!!

@Mihnea, my Dad congratulates you in your work. He drove the car this morning and was well impressed. Came to work with a massive grin!!
                          Cheers, I'm more than pleased by this!

www.MRCTuning.com
                          info@MRCTuning.com
                          Workshop Directions

Comment

Cant fooking wait! Bring it on!
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Hi

Very interestic topic I have one question about influence of boost on the engine. I've heard, that there is possibility of blowing up the head of the engine when it's too much boost, and some say the danger level is around 1.5 bar (21 psi) . Is there a real danger for the engine head with that pressure? What can I do to avoid this?
                              OOOO

www.AudiKlub.org - the oldest and biggest Audi Club in Poland :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X