still having oil problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still having oil problems

If you recall from last week, after start-up for the first time, I got an oil pressure warning light. When I checked the oil, it was foamy and full of tiny air bubbles. Well, I thought everything was fine after I checked the oil level earlier this week. The oil looked normal and was slightly below the full mark on the dip stick. So today, I fired it up again only to get the oil pressure warning light immediately, as before. Shut it down, waited a minute or so, and checked the oil again. Foamy! I'm at a loss here.
    So I have two problems: 1) oil gets foamy very quickly. 2) oil pressure warning light comes on immediately upon start-up.
    Are the two related? After today, I would say yes. I thought at first that the warning light may be due to an electrical issue, perhaps I connected something incorrectly. But I checked and re-checked the wiring from the sensors right to the Autocheck system and everything makes sense. I even switched the wires on the sender itself, but it also gave the warning and pinned the oil pressure gauge past 5 bar.
    That's the other anomaly; through all of this, the gauge reads on or close to 5 bar. I believe that when all is well, this is a normal reading for the first couple of minutes after start-up. However, if the gauge reads fine, why am I getting the warning light? Conversely, if I'm getting the warning light, why is the gauge reading fine? Shouldn't it read lower than 1.8 bar?
    Finally, what the heck is causing the frothy oil? At this point, I'm thinking it has to be mechanical. During the rebuild, the oil temp sensor and both oil pressure senders were never removed, thus I've ruled out incorrect installation of these components. Could it be the oil pump? It worked fine before, and it was properly installed (engaged with crankshaft) so not likely. What about the oil pick-up suction tube? Could this be clogged? Not suctioning? How does the suction occur? Is it directly from the pump, or does it work off the engine's vacuum? The crank case breather system is all brand new. What about the S4 windage tray? Should I have deleted the plastic baffle that is stock to the 3B? Is this causing too much resistance/not enough flow?
    Sorry for the long ramble. It's mostly been me thinking/writing out loud. This project cannot progress until I find out what the cause of this problem is!!!

Thanks again for listening. I hope someone out there has some more insight!

Ben
    Ben
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada
    1991 CQ e//S2 w/ RS2 spec 3B 20vt
    Panther Black Metallic
    www.moda-architecture.ca

It could be an air leak in the suction line, air would be sucked in and airate the oil in the pump decreasing its efficiency and reducing the output pressure to a warning state. I have seen pumps do this at work, the worst one i seen was a 12 stage gear pump to pump 270L/min and at 400 bar and it had a leak in the suction, ---a loud bang followed and 8 grands worth of damage. Luckily the S2 oil pump, although it wont do it any favours, shouldnt do something like that.
    HTH
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Damn Canadians!

I just like saying that...

Anyway, the hole in the suction line sounds like a possible cause but it seems unlikely that it would actually have ahole in it.
      I must say I was aq bit concerned when you added an additional baffle to the oil pan. I really don't think it is a good idea to use them both.
      The use of two could be causing your oil level in the pan to go down and then your oil foams ups. The oil may not be able to return to the pan quckly enough.
      A lot of hypothesizing could be done here but I would drop that pan and pull one of those baffles if nothing else is obvious.

Best of Luck,
      Dave Kase
      will be in the same boat this Summer...
      Dave K.
      USA
      1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
      2001 S4

Comment

well ben you have an oil problem and well I have a finger problem. I some how took a chunk out of my right index finger at work today. Tablesaw, wood, and me. I nicked the bone, so I can't touch the engine till this heals.

bone infection is sapposely a serious things.

I hope the best of luck to you.

soon enough our coupes will be road worthy.

I am going to enjoy a movie now with my vikes and chips. Typing has become a little bit or a problem now aways.

laters
        josh
        I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

I have a thought.

the added baffle might be causing the return oil to splash in the pan.

This could cause your air bubbles too.
          I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got quattro?

Comment

another possibility:

http://www.buickperformance.com/oilpumpwear.htm

circular grooves that cause air bubbles.. I will have to remember this one.

Comment

http://www.buickperformance.com/oilpumpwear.htm

Comment

another possible idea..

Is you simply might be missing and O-ring somewhere or have a defective o ring

Comment

interesting enough:

if you check etka

the 3b oil cooler lines have seals that attach to the oil filter bracket while the aby model oil cooler does not.

Comment

simple stuff while this is on my mind.

Something like your drain plug has an o ring. We all have those days when we forget something. It might be as simple as that.

I am just throwing ideas in the air for you.

Cheers
                    Josh

Comment

Working...
                    X