RS2 vs. 2.5 Tdi conrods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2 vs. 2.5 Tdi conrods

Took one piston and conrod out of both the RS2 and the 2.5L Tdi blocks today.
    I was really curious about how conrods looked.
    Unfortunatly, since I crashed my digital camera a couple of weeks ago, until I buy a new one (or somebody will present me with one ) I'm not able to post pictures.

Anyway here are some numbers and comments:

1) center to center lenght: both 144 mm

2) total weight (with bearings):
    - RS2 636 gr;
    - AEL 692 gr;

3) big end weight (with bearings):
    - RS2 470 gr;
    - AEL 495 gr;

4) small end weight (with bearing):
    - RS2 166 gr;
    - AEL 197 gr;

(weights might have a small percentage of error due to not "professional" scale and small amounts of oil left over them)

5) RS2 pin hole diameter (with bearing) is 20 mm; AEL is 26 mm;

6) RS2 conrod has "end to end" oil hole through it. AEL has two oil holes on top of small end, feeding pin's bearing.

7) AEL conrod has significantly bigger center longitudinal (end to end) reinforcement;

8) RS2 conrod tapers from big to small end from 25mm of width to 20 mm, while AEL is 25mm all the way.

By the way RS2 piston with rings, pin and pin clips (+ some small carbon depots and oil ) weights 496 gr.

Ciao

Marco

P.S. If some of the guys running strokers use ths Tdi conrods, how do they manage the bigger pin's diameter? custom pistons?

Got the picture now.

Santa brought a digital camera for Christmas .....
    ... but since I broke the last one, he told my wife has to manage it's use :mad:

Attached Files

Comment

Fook me!!!! Marco, are you sure an AEL or whatever piston it is can't be machined in order to fit a 20v cylinder head???? Now that's a serious rod man, who the **** needs Carrillos with those???
      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

Will it fit Marco? thats what will be the big question? Or will the whole Rod and piston assembley fit? They do look beefier dont they! Mark H ! Rods for you mate! (maybe?)
        Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

No way the Tdi piston would suit.
          Way too big compression height (I think this is the english term, but not sure) to provide room for the combustion chamber.

Rods are nice, really.
          On a standard stroke engine with custom pistons (bigger pin) they would work.

Marco

Comment

It was a joke about the whole lot fitting Marco but a excellent discovery m8! well done! Could the TDi piston be machined down to establish a suitable compression ratio? Or is it completly differnet dimensions? i.e bore? If they worked i could see 5 plugs poping like corkes out of bottles! The rods would definatly no longer be the weak link?

Comment

I'll check the Tdi piston better tomorrow.... but I would go for custom forged, anyway

Marco

Comment

Comment

Get yourself a set of these....you know it makes sense
                  Attached Files
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve, is the conrod on the picture coming from your set?
                    Are those the 144mm center-to-center lenght?
                    How much did they cost complete with studs?

Marco

Comment

Marco. Yes, the picture is one of my rods. They are 144mm centre to centre. FYI, rod data is as follows-

Total weight - 577g
                      Rotating - 405g
                      Reciprocating - 172g

They cost way too much
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

I would love to fit them on my "stroker". I was quoted 318 $ each for 156mm center to center ones (with studs) wich isn't exactly affordable at the moment .
                        Still need to check precisely 2.5L cylinders wear to figure out if I could use the 25k km RS2 pistons I have (and which look really in great shape).
                        If I would also need new pistons then the project will definitly need to hold on quite a bit.

Strange thing with Carrillo is they don't wanna tell me conrod's strenght rating. I was curious to figure out how much peak force they could withstand....

Marco

Comment

Marco: Carrloids Inc. are really strange company. They don't say anything that was not written on their site.

Even Weight stated by SteveH. They refused to tell me by mail.

Very strange.
                          Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Agreed, they do seem to be a little distant when dealing with tech stuff.
                            I can see why they don't do group buys as well. They only produce the rods to order or in small batches, so there's nothing in it for them to reduce their price. The same amount of time and machining goes into each one.

At the end of the day, they're the biggest name in the rod market, so they can play it their way.
                            91 Modded 3B

Comment

Steveh: have you wait for 6 weeks o manufacture your set ?

And what are the digits on the sheet you've go with them ?
                              Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Working...
                              X