S2 internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 internals

Read in a seperate post that RS2 Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, Injectors, Intercooler and a Re-Map is good for 380bhp ish on an s2 "ABY" which is ashtonishing. But what are the internals capable of within reason? on a 110k mile car? rods, big end bearings etc, whats gonna go first on this engine? Probs a silly question but not familiar with audi engines, know more about jap crap .

cheers guys

I´m running 450 bhp on standard internals (3B).
    Done 17000 miles now and 130000 before tuning.

Søren S2
    Audi RS4 LO550

BTG 8:08

www.fredslunds.dk

Comment

It's worth knowing the difference between the 3B and ABY:

3B - weak big end bearings (safe to ~300BHP); paper head gasket (safe to ~300BHP).

ABY - Stronger bearings and metal head gasket, good to god-knows-what.

Soren is, I believe, running a setup that pushed a "low" torque figure -IRO 500nm - and he runs high RPM power; the engine on stock components is able to withstand this as far as I am aware (I await correction).

With the stock ABY, or 3B upgraded to ABY specs, the S2 can take the 350-380BHP a full RS2 conversion will give without issues, though if you want the full benefits of low-end torque the RS2 turbo has to offer, you'll want to change the rods as these are the weak point (again, "only" safe to ~525NM, any more is a ticking timebomb). I think they are the only weak point the sensible side of 500bhp where you start having ot factor in extra cooling, pistons, etc... A very expensive hobby! I think you'll find that the clutch, gearbox etc start letting go before the I5-20v Turbo blows if it's done properly!

Have a search back on some big-power projects and you'll get a good idea of when/where upgraded internals are needed.

Cheers
      Ross
      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Wow, aby 's the one togo for then. When you fit the rs2 intercooler does it go in the same place as the s2 would be (in an s2 aby) is there alot of modifying and what not, or does it just bolt in - so to speak?

Comment

There's a mod that has to be done with the cross-member I think, I know it's not just a swap-job. I'm sure if you search on RS2 intercooler you'll find more info about it - I don't think it's a big job.

ABY has great 'outta the box' tuning potential, and a 6-speed box, and coilpack ignition system. 3B is lighter, old 'nuff to be decatted and with a bit of £££ can have the internals modified

Comment

im wanting my 3b upto RS2 spec by summer so i'll let you know on progress,lol
            Looking for an S2 ABY

Comment

Originally posted by madS2
              im wanting my 3b upto RS2 spec by summer so i'll let you know on progress,lol
              That makes 2 of us lol... do you have any of the goods yet? Or still at the "sourcing" stage?

Comment

still looking mate,whats on your shopping list?
                Looking for an S2 ABY

Comment

Shopping list...

Lol, if Mr. OEM reads this he'll be taking the piss

Exhaust 7A cam, 3" decatted DP-back exhaust, 044 fuel pump, 996s up-front already fitted by the way :mischeif:

OK here goes...
                  1x 3" Downpipe
                  1x FARB / RARB (bought)
                  2x rear Biltein Sprints (bought)
                  2x front Biltein Sports (looking)
                  1x Springs all-round (prob H&R HA/VA set, looking)
                  1x Clutchnet Carbon Fibre + pressureplate (reserved )
                  5x RS2 Injectors (bought)
                  1x RS2 Ex. Manifold
                  1x RS2 'Comp' turbo (pending availability)
                  1x RS2 Intercooler
                  5x SPM rods (pending group buy)

Also, metal HG + bearings etc to be bought + fitted; engine to be rebalanced @ crank and finished off with an MRC remap. My goal is to have all the work done by mid June!

How 'bout you.. what're you doing for the uber-rare RS2 bits?
                  Last edited by Ross; 26 February 2006, 22:37. Reason: Forgot a part :-D

Comment

still doing research but let me know how you get on with the turbo and the rods,hoping for about july-august.Havent really started looking as trying to raise the funds and put away!!lol.so as much help would be appreciated mate.cheers
                    Looking for an S2 ABY

Comment

Aby better and more modern design (ignition) 3b have stronger bonding in the metal for the connecting rods (same part# in etka but not the same from factory) the only weakness if you go 400+ is the conneting rod-bolts , they are basically standard m10 washers so you should really go ARP there. My car had standard internals and I change to verdi rods last summer, the engine actually looked brand new inside (the bearings and pistons and so on)

So these engines sure can withstand some torture. They don't call me Mr Transmission killer for nothing over here :-)
                      2004 9-5 aero
                      2009 Subaru Legacy Diesel
                      1994 Toyota Supra Eurospec 6-spd LHD
                      3-4 Audis in parts

Comment

Working...
                      X