Noisy tappets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy tappets?

After performing my car for a few minutes, occasionally I get a ticking sound from the top of the head on idle. If I leave the car running for a minute or so, the noise goes away.
    I have changed the oil recently because my car hadnt been used for a couple of months.

Do I need to replace the tappets?

TIA

Not sure what you mean when you say performing your car? Do you mean after a thrashing?

If the noise goes away after start up then i would personally not worry about it too much. If you need to replace anything then it should'nt be all 20 tappets?£££££ (Not sure how to diagnose the offending one though?)

I once had a similar problem. I also had a noisey tappet, which i noticed after driving home from work one day but it quietened its self and so far hasnt reared its head?

Whats your oil pressure like ?
    What oil do you use Sal?
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

I suppose you could call it thrashing.

There's no noise on start up, whether cold or hot.
      It does sound as if its only 1 or 2 tappets.

Oil pressure goes off the scale when cold, a little under the 2 bar mark on idle when hot.

I use synta gold oil but I think I'll use 10/60 next time.

Could the tappets be taken out and cleaned or is there an additive that I could use to clean them without taking them out?

Thanks

Comment

It could be that the oil is thining out alot because of how hot it has got after a thrashing
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Yeh cos i used synta gold, but found it got very thin when hot, so use the semi synthetic 10/40 now, which is much better....
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Sal, I have the tappets ticking sometimes (after a thrashing ) when oil level starts getting 0.5-0.7 liters below full level (I'm having about 1 liter of consumption each 5-6 K km).
            Normally, if tappets need to be replaced, ticking noise is more likely to happen on cold startings.
            Don't know exactly for how many Km Audi rates them but I had to replace them on my previous 90 Coupè 3B setup at around 150K Km.

Marco

Comment

For a full set of 20 original Audi tappets brand new call Jason at Volksrange on Teesside on 01642 670306-- he is a sound lad who ownes it and he has the best looking old beetle i have seen ever, he has wone competitions all over for it. http://www.volksrange.co.uk/ or just contact Martyn on the site or through VAGparts.
              But i have had my tappets done as mine were doing that after a thrashing and when i had them done i re-filled with mobil 1 and all was fine for 8k miles, the noise only started to come back then. So i put in Quantum Synta gold and it lasted about 1200miles and started again (personally i think synta gold is sh*te as that is what was in when my original set of tappets were in), now i have got Castrol 10-60w Formula RS to go in and if that doesnt cure it i have a spare oil pump to go on (courtesy of Greg S). Its baltic outside at the moment but the flush will probably happen this week.
              Graham
              Last edited by Graham; 28 December 2003, 02:17.
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I had exactly the same problem with my ABY. After trashing the car I would get some tappet ticking. I did a Forté Motor Flush treatment, drained the old oil, changed the oil filter and filled the engine up with Mobil 1 RF. That got rid of the problem.
                Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

I think I'll try that Forte stuff and change the oil and filter again, see what happens.

Anyone else tried Forte?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X