This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Run Cooling System Fixed

Was the 2 wire sender on the coolant rail, sod to do but i am pleased i now have this working again

Iain

mine is down at the moment and i ordered a new pump,as my wires where checked...hoping to fix it soon before anything happens on my new turbo !!!

Comment

Originally posted by iain1067
      Was the 2 wire sender on the coolant rail, sod to do but i am pleased i now have this working again

Iain

Witch sensor are you using now?? When does it work on your car???

I have seen mine working only for one time!
      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Any links on how too check if this is working?

How can you tell if it's working or not from within the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
          Any links on how too check if this is working?

How can you tell if it's working or not from within the car?
          There is a thread somewhere. (Sorry can't find it at the mo'). IIRC its very hard to tell if its working from inside the car. You can do a test where you disconnect the plug and touch the two terminals together with a wire to simulate afterun conditions.

Some stuff here: http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/afterrun.htm

(A job I still have to do on mine - not sure if mine works either.... )

Cheers,

Steve
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

You can't test the sensor itself, my bentley manual says do the touching the wires together trick to make sure the pump and fan run, and also run the car and get it hot then let it sit after 5 minutes the fan and pump should run, if they don't then replace sender unit.

The sender unit is located just above the thermostat, requires a 22mm spanner to undo it, don't try and do it when the car is even half warm, hot coolant hurts trust me i know!!!.

The only other parts in the system are the relay which most often fails causing the fan to come on and not go off (flat battery) or a blown fuse, now on the S6 the fuse is not in the fuse box why i don't know, it's located in the drivers side kick panel and rated at 15amps, any sort of shorting out whilst testing the pump (wires are constantly live) will result in the fuse blowing. part no is 054 919 369B and comes with a washer already on it

Iain

Comment

Did you managed to change the srnsor with the Radiator on the car??? Can you give there some advise?
              Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Originally posted by Billman
                Witch sensor are you using now?? When does it work on your car???

I have seen mine working only for one time!
                A Witch sensor? Do you get many ghosts and ghouls in your home town Billman

On a serious note i've found the procedure on S2central and it says remove the relay to disable the rad fan which is very sensible.

http://s2central.net/cooling01.html

http://s2central.net/cooling04.html

Comment

Excellent...
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I wish i'd known about this before the weekend when i changed the coolant hoses

Comment

Can anyone tell me the part number for the after-run pump?
                      I am trying to source one from GSF and I think this is the right one : 17072 WATER PUMP-ADDITIONAL ACOUPQ 5 Cyl 2.2 S2 20V 9/90 > 65.00
                      Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                        A Witch sensor? Do you get many ghosts and ghouls in your home town Billman

On a serious note i've found the procedure on S2central and it says remove the relay to disable the rad fan which is very sensible.

http://s2central.net/cooling01.html

http://s2central.net/cooling04.html

I want a procedure on how to remove the Sensor from this **** location!
                        Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

The rad fan switch i haven't tested, on the S6 i have both electric fan (which is used for additional cooling when the a/c is on and also after run) the main fan is a viscous coupled one. Usually the best way to test this is to let the car sit idling when hot and it should come on and off as the coolant temp rises.

good point about removing the relay to stop the after run pump and fan draining the battery, had that before on my old urs4, took me a while to fathom out why i was getting a flat battery. Apparently the after run relay goes **** up inside after a few years, i replaced the original brown coloured one with a black one problem solved.

Iain

Comment

and yes i have changed rad fan sensors with the rad in the car, it's tight but can be done, better to do it from underneath and the new ready to go straight in otherwise you end up loosing all the coolant, mind you good time to change the coolant if required.

Iain

Comment

Hi there

Not sure what the Audi PN is by I sourced my replacement directly from a Bosch (washing machine!!) agent. The Bosch pump was about 40% cheaper than the OEM. The Bosch PN for the pump is: 0-392-020-054 and it is identical to the Audi verison even down to the electrical plug.

Regards
                              Andre
                              1995 RS2 Avant - Custom SS exhaust, Koni adjustables, Custom map, large grin ...

Comment

Working...
                              X