Oil temperature question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil temperature question

My oil temp gauge shows about 60 C no matter how long or hard I drive. Sounds fishy to me.

What ranges of oil Temp are others seeing in their cars?

sounds like Your oil temp. sensor not working properly, check with a new one. My oil temp. range shows from less than 90 degree on normal drive to about 115-120 degree when pedal to the medal
    OOOO

www.AudiKlub.org - the oldest and biggest Audi Club in Poland :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks Leo.

It sounds like the sensor is dead or a wire is disconnected.

Comment

If your car is standard and you're using it in Sweden, at this time of year, your gauge may well be correct. When my S2 was in standard trim it did the same - never really moved above the first mark. Since adding some goodies I've proved it's OK, as I've seen it at 130+ during the hot months of last year.

HTH
        Steve
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

My gauge stays at 60 - winter or summer. I have Mihnea's chips so power is up. So should heat be.

Where does the oil temp sensor sit on the 3B? Anybody know?

Comment

I have had the same problem with that gauge also. The sensor isnt used for anything other than the display on the dash. Best bet is to check the connections on the back of the gaug because mine had a bit of a loose connection on it.

Greg
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Cheers Greg.

BTW I wish somebody would fix the temp sensor here in Sweden. The AC is set way too cold :mad:

Comment

I have to tell you that in Hungary it is minus 6 minus 8 these days and no matter how hard I push the pedal it wouldnt go up more than 80 (to be honest it is only about 78). This includes 200 at the autobahn. Is there an oil cooler somewhere? There must be!

Gabor
                Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Of course there's an oil cooler
                  OOOO

www.AudiKlub.org - the oldest and biggest Audi Club in Poland :thumbs:

Comment

Guys find yourself a long nice steep up hill and give it the gun in 5th or 6th and really get that turbo blowin that'll warm it up!

If that doesnt make the gauge move then you have a problem! The stock oil cooler is located in front of the F/O/S wheel. (ish)

Oil temp may take 10-15 minutes to move in cold conditions especially if not bein driven too hard?
                    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

So if I am seeing 110 -115 Deg C on my oil temp gauge when gunning it on the motorway I have nothing to worry about?

At what temperature does Castrol RS 10w60 start to break down? Is up to 130degC a safe working limit on the S2 engine and turbo???

Cheers,

A slightly concerned Steve!
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic
                      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I had the same experience on my RS2 - the most I have ever seen is just about 90 or so.
                        Having had a Corrado G60 where the oil temperature gets to 100'C by the time you get to end of the road (before various cooling mods fitted) I was highly suspiscious and got a new sensor fitted & had the guage checked - still the same - obviously the S2/RS2 is just a very cool car
                        The main problem I think is the design of the guage - it is not easy to read & the scale is all wrong for the car. The Corrado's oil temperature guage was digital in the main computer readout below the rev counter & I set mine up so the default reading was oil temp - this was much better IMO
                        Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
                        Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

My mate has a UrS4 which has a fu**ed oil cooler and his runs about 110 permantly and has doen for years. So far he has had no lubrication problems?

I gunned my S2 (modded) chasing a Carrera and saw the oil temp @ 130 degrees which is the highest ive ever seen it. That was on the M-way but was absoloutly flat out in 6th. Soon cooled down when i let off the power.
                          Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Glen, stop chasing Carreras immediately. You may kill the guy when the first curve comes.......
                            Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

That reminds me, last year i was coming up to a junction of the m25 driving an S2(martinjs's car) i overtook a Boxster and a Z3 M coupe, on a bend, the BMW didnt bother chasing me but the boxster thought he had a chance.I was spinning all 4 wheels so you could tell it was wet.Next thing the Boxster started doing spinning all over the place at about 60mph, then he smashed into a 2foot high wall, smashed the back end in good and proper.Funniest thing ive ever seen in the rear view mirror, saw him get out so he was still alive.That will teach the posing ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X