Hole in head!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in head!

Damn, first dissapointment of the year already!

While dismantaling my 3B head for a bit of porting and polishing, I noticed a small amount of salt deposits in cyl#3 exhaust port. After removing the valve it's become evident that there is a leak from the water jacket into the exhaust port Anybody know if this can be repaired by welding etc?
    Attached Files
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Steve,

I think it can be welded, and after that you have to report it.

Cheers

Cees

Comment

Id imagine welding is a bit extreme, you can get titanium putty that will hardern and seal it up.

Do it on some mini heads instread of sleeving the gap where you brreak through on the port if its not to bad. Easier than machined up a sleeves and pressing it in..

Comment

oo, also, got any mroe shorts of the head ? Id be rather interested to have a look if you don't mind

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas I'll post a few pics of the ports etc. when I've cleaned the head up a bit. It's hard to get a shot of it at the moment.
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Okie doke, no worries.

A good engine builder type place should be able to do it nicely for you

Comment

well, welding is indeed an option,

Just weld the hole till its closed, if you want to do this you have to go to a place were they know how to handle alluminium.

After welding if done propperly you can reshape the port.

In my opinion is this way better than stickin some other sort of gum metal in it. No offence.

Cheers

Cees

Comment

Quick update - The head has been pressure tested. There is indeed a leak between the water jacket and #3cyl exhaust port. It looks like this was caused by an inclusion in the casting. It's only a very small leak, however, I'm sure it will get worse if left untreated. The head has now been sent for vacuum resin impregnation at this place - http://www.normanhay.com/Divisions/s...impregnate.htm
                Hopefully this should sort it out and rule out any future problems with porosity in the alloy

Cheers,
                Steve
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

It could have been TIG welded, but I feel your solution has many merits. You were luck to spot it at a convenient time.

Comment

Working...
                  X