New 7A Exhaust Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 7A Exhaust Cam

I have a new 7A exhaust cam - the lobs aren't shiny - probably some grey paint on them - should I polish this off before I fit it?

Thanks
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

if its paint id take it off, it will only come off as soon as you start it anyway.

Comment

Mmm - don't want flakes of stuff in there though - Maybe soak it in petrol?

Comment

Doug,

Is it brand new? Why would they (Audi) paint it. It might be a protective coating (like nitriding or some other type of hardening treatmant), I can't imagine that new cams have to be polished before installation , but I'm probably wrong :confused: .

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S. I also got my 7A ex cam last Sunday with the inlet too, not new, but in good nick (cheers Spink) .
        Mark - Modded

Comment

What's the advantage of the inlet cam Mark? When is you new monster head going on the car?

A pic of the grey lobes
          Attached Files

Comment

And, yes - it's new. I needed it in a, sort of, hurry.

Comment

Doug,

they came as a pair, although I think Mihnea said that It was an option to use the inlet too, as someone he knows is using them both.
              In fact I'm facing a bit of a dilemma, as I have the ABY, ADU and 7A inlets now and I dont know which one would be best to use with the 7A exhaust cam, but that will be another thread (Marco, I will need your help ).

As for the head I'm going to have it pressure tested next week to make sure I havent done to much to it, if its OK then it will be rebuilt in a few weeks and I'll get it bolted on as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Mark.
              Mark - Modded

Comment

Re: New 7A Exhaust Cam

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                I have a new 7A exhaust cam - the lobs aren't shiny - probably some grey paint on them - should I polish this off before I fit it?

Thanks
                That'll be the one I packed yesterday just fit it Doug, don't do anything to it except put lots of oil on the lobes and tappets before you put the cam cover back on
                S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

As per APG that cam just looks brand new to me! Plenty of oil before refitting cam cover. I normally pour about 3 litres of oil over the cam after doing a head gasket as this makes sure everything is well lubricated and I only need to top up after this.
                  Hope all goes well with the rebuild.

Chris
                  A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Re: Re: New 7A Exhaust Cam

Originally posted by Audi Parts Guru
                    That'll be the one I packed yesterday just fit it Doug, don't do anything to it except put lots of oil on the lobes and tappets before you put the cam cover back on
                    Yes it is - I'll do just that then.

Comment

pour your oil over the cams very slowly doug or it'll overflow into your plug holes due to no cover being there.....BTDT...lol

Comment

The dark grey finish on the cam is a by product of the hardening process. The hardening system that was used on cams and followers on Mini race cams was called Parkerising. This is nothing to do with wrapping it in a train spotters outer clothing. The friction of running will burnish the cam lobes.

Make sure it's clean, fit it and maybe use STP engine build lube, Piper Cam lube or similar.
                        Good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X