Cleaning hydraulic tappets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning hydraulic tappets

My hydraulic tappets are out of my head - how do I clean these?

I was going to put them on a metal tray and heat it up from underneath - is this good enough or should i soak them in a hot thin oil. Never done it before so only guessing.

Cheers
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

What exactly are yo trying to clean off them ?

Most people just wipe them off with a rag

Comment

I just thought it would be worthwhile cleaning them while they are out. My head had some rubbish from the broken HT lead in it so I wanted to be sure that everything was clean and free from bits.

Comment

Re: Cleaning hydraulic tappets

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
        My hydraulic tappets are out of my head - how do I clean these?

I was going to put them on a metal tray and heat it up from underneath - is this good enough or should i soak them in a hot thin oil. Never done it before so only guessing.

Cheers
        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek2:

I'd personally soak them in something like brake cleaner (in a well ventilated area and away from sources of ignition of course )

S2 Avant......fully loaded :rock: :bow: Slipper Wagons Rule !!!!!

Comment

Doug

Had to clean the tappets on my evo, very noisy when cold. I used Paraffin to clean mine this worked very well indead. Not sure what type in the Audi but on the evo you can pump the Paraffin in and out of the tappet to ensure they are clean

HTH

Paul
          S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Soak them in diesel oil overnight.
            -

Comment

cheers guys - i'll soak them in something(whatever I can find) overnight.

Comment

There is a way of cleaning tappets by taking them apart. This is the procedure that is suposed to be done when ANY tappets are removed as if it is not done you stand the chance of the tappets 'jacking up' and holding a valve open, and then when the piston comes up, it bends it nicely!!!
                This technique will normally cure noisy tappets too!

1) Remove tappets and keep then in order
                2) Tip the tappet upside down and grip the bit that sits on the top of the valve with some round jawed pliers or similar.
                3) Pull the centre out of the shell, this is not normally easy, but sometimes all twenty come apart with ease.
                4) With the centre piece in your hand, get a pen or something similar and push the ball bearing part in to release to oil inside.
                5) Keep doing this until the tappet is all 'squashy' and then clen the main shell and place the centre part back in.
                6) Repeat 20 times!

You will find that when the car starts up it will sound very rattley. This is normal and is NOT causing any damage. Once the oil has got hot and after about 15 mins max, all the noise will go!

HTH
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                X