Metal Radiator Vs Plastic One.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Radiator Vs Plastic One.

Just checked a radiator in a 3B Coupe, as it has developed a leak. The original one leaked from a tiny crack coming off from the bleed screw. I replaced it 7 months ago with a genuine one (brand new) and I have discovered it is leakin as well! This time from the seam at the bottom, where the plastic end tank is crimped to the matrix. Has any one experienced this problem? Looks like a metal one is on the cards. ops:

Siena

Mine has the one with plastic end tanks fitted by a previous owner. I guess it has been there for about 3 very hard years, or 40+k miles. No anomalies discovered yet. I have lost a lot of water through hose failures but the rad is fine. Is the system being overpressurised somehow? The place where the bleed screw goes in has a brass bush in place but it cannot take big torques. This has to be done up with a low enough torque so as not to damage the rad yet still tight enough to stay in and not leak....

Lee

PS Siena, PM on its way to you with postage details!!
    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Cool. Still reckon metal rad is best - fitting one tomorrow. The one on my S2 - engined type 85 Coupe q lasted from new till I sold it Xmas 2002. Here it is...
      Attached Files

Comment

Plastic one worked for me but given the choice I would definately fit the metal one. Are they more expensive??
        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I fitted a new metal one on friday it was cheeper than plastic other wise same quality

Comment

Re: Metal Radiator Vs Plastic One.

Originally posted by Vagsport
            Just checked a radiator in a 3B Coupe, as it has developed a leak. The original one leaked from a tiny crack coming off from the bleed screw.
            Siena
            Had the same radiator leak on my 3B coupe. Glued it together with glass fibre reinforcement, leak fixed. this was ca 1 year ago, still no leak.
            Leif-Helge
            -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
            -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

Comment

Working...
            X